Something you dislike about the above SJer's comic

Home of "Your opinion of the above SmackJeever" and other such threads

Re: Something you dislike about the above SJer's comic

Postby mikemacdee » January 3rd, 2015, 9:43 pm

Usually when I read the Midnight Tea Party, the trick or treat story "animates" the sequence where the monster answers the door. The sequence should speak for itself without such gimmicks, and it doesn't match the rest of the comics in the lineup.

The ending to Fairy Soup still infuriates me. If you put that story in a creepy supernatural anthology, it should have ended on Page 5 -- that page was shocking as hell, and a perfect, grisly way to end the story. Instead, Steven Spielberg steps in and adds a page 6 where everything is okay after all, completely ruining what would have otherwise been a perfect short story.

Still one of my favorites on the site though. I've liked creepy anthologies since I was a kid.

I'll be very surprised if the next person has anything negative to say about my comic that I don't already know. I'm my own worst critic.
mikemacdee

Postby walkin_talkin_apocolyps » June 7th, 2015, 3:26 am

ok so i dont really like yur banner that much. i think it makes yur comic look less impressive than it actually is so it made me not want to check it out at first. mostly i think the font part is whats makin me feel off about it. its not a very good lookin font and i dont really notice the faces too much. but yeah a banners a big part in gettin people to read your comic and i think your comics a lot better than the banner made me think :3
walkin_talkin_apocolyps

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » June 7th, 2015, 2:01 pm

The intro to this comic didn't really grab me because the first six pages put me out there without a main character to link myself to, and little to no reason to care about a space thing. I feel the space bit is fine, but in the wrong place. Some of the action shots, like hitting, are unclear, and there's a splash art featuring nameless characters which feels really out of place. There's quick improvement in both the art and story telling, but the characters, especially Geckie, seem off. He's not sure how to use suspenders but makes cultural jokes like referencing Star Wars, knows what hookers are, identifies steam punk styles, is able to ride a bike, and avoids eating glass. Parsnip is on and off about whether or not she actually wants to help Geckie, and her reactions to his behavior are difficult to relate to. She doesn't seem to question how Geckie could have created the hole in her yard while unarmed, and she gets over the nudity almost instantly. The spider bot didn't seem to have any after affect implying that these kinds of situations, while clearly stressful and scary, are common enough to shake off. the adult characters, i.e. the parents and teachers all behave in oddly immature ways, which I understand is intended to be humorous, but when ALL the adults are crazy, it begins to lose it's impact and you just expect it. In the scene with Geckie being kidnapped by a woman on a motorbike, I have a hard time beliving that she couldn't hear the VROOOMMM overpowering her own voice and then turn around to say "Hey! Geckie disappeared without any kind of warning!"
A bit long winded, but I was sort of taking notes of anything that bothered or confused me as I was reading through.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » October 11th, 2015, 8:35 am

Bump.
I'm very curious what someone outside of my squirrel friends would think of Nick Polar Bear.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby NickRowler » October 11th, 2015, 12:58 pm

A minor nitpick, the text seems too large for the balloons, I think bringing the size down a little can help.

My major issue is that a lot of the panels seem very cramped, there is a lot of close ups and extreme close ups to the point where it is hard to tell where characters are in relationship to each other.

For example, on Chapter 01 pg 07, a bunch of police randomly appear in the first panel. If the panel was set with a wider shot with the police running toward Nick Polar Bear or have Nick Polar Bear approaching the police officers, it would make more sense. The second panel shows Nick Polar Bear shoot his Bear Claw but the area is very close up and it is hard to tell who he's aiming it at. If you widen the shot and angle him, with him in the foreground and the monster in the background, so that you can tell he's attacking the monster. Also something to consider about this page, the Bear Claw was fired towards the left panel but hit the monster from the bottom and angled to the right. It would make more sense if the attack came from the right.

(sorry if I seemed nitpicky, I am a bit obsessed with cinematography)
NickRowler

Previous

Return to Forum Games