Something you dislike about the above SJer's comic

Home of "Your opinion of the above SmackJeever" and other such threads

Re: Something you dislike about the above SJer's comic

Postby blankd » August 30th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Most of the starting pages are just text on black backgrounds. You might want to try putting more pages or not relying on stock textures to fill up the void. It can be used effectively, but it's not good to have it be the beginning.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby RTSSH21 » August 30th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Spoiler! :
blankd wrote:Most of the starting pages are just text on black backgrounds. You might want to try putting more pages or not relying on stock textures to fill up the void. It can be used effectively, but it's not good to have it be the beginning.
Ah, thanks. I'll probably re-design them then. I wasn't sure what to do since I didn't want to show the character much in the opening. [by the way, I don't use stock images, I make all my tones from scratch]

I actually don't like the way you do the text. It doesn't fit. It might be better if it was hand-written, to fit your style better.
Tell Everybody I'm on my way, whatever way that may be - be it the road less traveled by, or the road I'll someday die. As long as I'm amused, I'll be fine.
I'm sure he was a lonely guy, walking the road less traveled by.
RTSSH21

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2011, 11:32 pm

I honestly don't know why, but the anatomy feels a bit off... And they all look a bit chubby.

Postby RTSSH21 » August 30th, 2011, 11:36 pm

I actually don't like sprite comics much in general. It get's to be a lot of lazy cut and pasting.

...do all my characters look chubby? I though only Kira turned out chubby [that's how she's supposed to be]... hm... I may need to find references, thanks.
Tell Everybody I'm on my way, whatever way that may be - be it the road less traveled by, or the road I'll someday die. As long as I'm amused, I'll be fine.
RTSSH21

Postby anonymuse » August 30th, 2011, 11:51 pm

hmm interesting concept for a thread! xD

I don't think your characters are too chubby. well, I suppose compared to manga where everyone is stick-thin then yeah, but I actually find them quite appealing, especially the way you've colored/shaded them. however, what I don't like is the fade-out effect you've got going on in your html. fancy and all but it just slows down my load-time and gets in the way of reading things. I really, really dislike it. >__<
anonymuse

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2011, 11:57 pm

I love silliest putty(probably as much as you to your lover), but one thing that always irked me was the body's felt a little 2-d. That shouldn't really be a problem, but when they hold their arms out... It doesn't match well.

For some odd reason, I think some shading would be a bit nice.

Postby RTSSH21 » August 31st, 2011, 12:02 am

Spoiler for this got ninja'd:
Spoiler! :
Ah, you think so? I've always had problems figuring out how to set things like that up without mucking something up... got any advice for me maybe?

As for your comics, it's the paneling I don't like. There isn't a rigid line at all. I do like some of them not having actual rigid lines, but it might be a better thing for moderation. On occasion, the paneling you use makes it harder to read the comic.

As for pizzaman, I also actually find most of your comics not dynamic at all, and since there's so many co-authors, they have a tendency not to follow up so well. Maybe making scripts over a messaging program would help with some of them, while others might just need a new page layout or something.
RTSSH21

Postby T1p2 » August 31st, 2011, 12:05 am

I dislike that Demon Hunters hasn't updated since the 16th :p
Season Three (status: Coming Soon)
Doodle Beans News at my deviantArt Journal.
Season One Season Two
T1p2

Postby RTSSH21 » August 31st, 2011, 12:13 am

I dislike the pixelated greyness around where the lines are, and the static unchanging shapes.

Also, sorry about that. Inking takes a long time for me, next update is probably Friday. >.< I'm working on my speed, I just ain't there yet.
RTSSH21

Postby Monkipi » August 31st, 2011, 10:49 am

The Inking has a somewhat sketchy quality to it that does not appear to be consistent. If you can, try and capture each line in one continuous stroke.
Monkipi

Postby eishiya » August 31st, 2011, 11:36 am

(Thanks for the nose crit. I've already been working on fixing that on the pages that aren't posted yet, but I took a second look and I think I can make things better with the pages I'll draw from now on <3)

The hatching lacks flow. It's used almost like a tone would be, just to create grey, without reinforcing the shape of the objects. I highly recommend checking out Vagabond and Berserk for examples of hatching that goes beyond simple grey, it really brings out the forms by following them.

(For what it's worth, your hatching reminds me a lot of Naruto, Bleach, and comics like that. I think in them, it's done that way because it's faster, but I doubt you're doing 18 pages/week. I think you could take the extra time to make your hatching really work. It's not that much more difficult/time-consuming, but for artists doing weekly chapters, it does end up shaving off significant time just through volume.)
eishiya

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2011, 11:45 am

The arrows...weird me out a little...and there seem to be very few other people about.

Spoiler! :
H0lyhandgrenade wrote:I think the inking could do with a lil' more linewidth variation.

walkin_talkin_apocolyps wrote:umm.... the lines look a wee bit messy.... it could just be the pen tho. try usin microns! they're magically delicious! <3

Aha linework...it hates me but I will conquer it eventually! XD

Postby eishiya » August 31st, 2011, 12:12 pm

Fae Grins: The black gutters between panels make it difficult to tell where one panel ends and the other begins in some of the darker panels.

(Thanks for the crit <3 But I'm afraid the sparse population is an intentional effect. Hopefully it'll become clear by the end why it is so.)
eishiya

Postby ApaFox » August 31st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Wont let me in half the time. It doesn't like me!!
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby T1p2 » August 31st, 2011, 2:48 pm

I keep getting distracted while trying to read it...almost like it sends a signal out to people making them ask me to do things. [/paranoid]
Season Three (status: Coming Soon)
Doodle Beans News at my deviantArt Journal.
Season One Season Two
T1p2

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games