Did you know?

Home of "Your opinion of the above SmackJeever" and other such threads

Re: Did you know?

Postby aqua the hedgie » May 22nd, 2013, 4:53 pm

JoKeRcologne wrote:
aqua the hedgie wrote:The average human spends about two years on the phone in their lifetime.

This doesn't count for call-center employes.

Thus, average.
corruption wrote:What's the difference? One attacks people, causing massive property damage, kills a lot of people and is feared by many people as they meddle with forces they don't even begin to understand, let alone be able to control, and the other is a villain.
aqua the hedgie

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2013, 7:45 pm

Did you know that the hotel with the most floors is currently located in North Korea. The building sets the record with having 105 floors. Though it is a crowning achievement, the number of foreigners who enter the country is so low that the building seems a bit pointless.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Did you know, the founder of MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving), Candy Lightner became a lobbyist for liquor several years after creating the group.

Postby TheTC » November 18th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Did you know that even-numbered interstates run east to west, and that odd number indicate north to south?
TheTC

Postby mikemacdee » November 18th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Portrayals of the ninja in the east (as mystical sorcerer martial artists) and west (as leagues of assassins) are pure fantasy, as some of you may already know. If you know where to look, you can find a number of books that explain the true facts behind the ninja, like books by the famous Stephen Hayes, who studied with an actual ninja master descended from the Iga or Koga clan (I forget which). These textbooks explain how the ninja clans lived, what their philosophies were, what tools and weapons they used, how they trained from age five to adulthood, the awesome houses they lived in that were filled with trapdoors and secret passages (which you can tour in Japan in some places) and all sorts of fascinating facts.

All of which are bullshit.

The true truth about the shadow warrior is there were no Iga and Koga clans. Those "ninja" houses you can tour in Japan are just the former homes of rich merchants and such who wanted multiple exits in case of a fire (bonus fact: rice paper and wood burn!). Basically all the usual "true facts" you can find in books and websites -- even on wikipedia -- are the combined result of novelists who originally popularized the ninja in the Edo/Meiji periods, gullible people like Stephen Hayes, and snake oil salesmen looking to make a buck. Historically, the people we refer to as "ninja" were regular warriors who were trained and/or experienced in the fields of espionage and guerrilla warfare, the two main historical purposes of the ninja. Everything else is either legend or pop culture.

This isn't to say they weren't badass; just beware what you read from "academic" sources. You can probably find the details at the Samurai Archives. I think they have at least one article about the ninjer on the front page right now.
mikemacdee

Postby Talv » November 18th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Did you know, that europeans started smoking, because they were mesmerized by the view of a smoke, circling in the air while coming from their nostrils.
Talv

Postby mikemacdee » November 19th, 2013, 1:27 am

Did you know that interrogative statements always end in a question mark?
mikemacdee

Postby SpiralPen » November 19th, 2013, 1:38 am

The largest land-dwelling arthropod, the coconut crab, will actually drown if submerged in water and can be found living in trees

additionally, did you know that pill bugs (or Rolly Pollys) aren't actually insects, but tiny terrestrial crustaceans? This is why they can be seen frequently after it rains.

***EDIT***
I was gonna wait for somebody else to post before I posted anything else so I'd make sure I have something to say, but I can't help myself!
More bug facts!

Did you know that the Goliath Birdeater Spider doesn't actually catch birds in its web to eat? Other than serving as a grim reflection of their size, their name owes entirely to the man who discovered them happening to come across one that was investigating a dead bird on the ground.

Golden Silk Orb-Weavers, however, will frequently catch birds (as well as snakes and other small rodents or reptiles) in their webs and devour them.
Incidentally, these voracious spiders are directly related to the kind that inspired the Japanese myth of the Jorogumo, a womanly spider-demon who captures and eats unsuspecting young men.

I love bugs. Especially spiders <3
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby UrbanMysticDee » November 19th, 2013, 3:01 am

The Lighthouse of Alexandria was reported to have been made in three segments, in ascending order: a square, an octagon, and a cylinder. It seems likely that this design came from India, as it is the same shape as a lingam. Ptolemy I had been to India with Alexander and the expedition brought back to Babylon a "gymnosophist" ("naked wise man"), who was some sort of yogi who had renounced clothing along with all other worldly possessions. Most of these naked yogis worship the god Shiva, whose symbol is the lingam. The lighthouse survived and was fully functional until 1303 when an earthquake damaged it. Its ruin remained for over a century more until it was dismantled and turned into a fort in 1477.

The ruins of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus survived for just a little bit longer, finally being disassembled in 1494, again to build a fort (there seems to be a pattern here).
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby TheTC » November 19th, 2013, 9:53 am

Did you know that male seahorses get pregnant with the babies, not the girls?
TheTC

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 19th, 2013, 3:15 pm

TheTC wrote:Did you know that male seahorses get pregnant with the babies, not the girls?

Female lays the eggs, males fertilise the eggs, males carry the eggs until they hatch.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Nymine » November 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Did you know that the wren is also called a kinglet? This is due to an old fable where the birds were attempting to find their king. They decided to hold a contest, and have their ruler be the one who could fly the farthest. The eagle outflew all, but the wren hid in his plumage and stood on his head, making the wren the king(I love folk lore ok?).
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby HABE » November 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Did you know Manga Studio 5 is only $30 on amazon right now?

(I'm not spamming. I'm just surprised it's so cheap. I think that's a today-only special deal though.)
HABE

Previous

Return to Forum Games