Engrish is not a new phenomenon

Engrish is not a new phenomenon

Postby Durvin » September 13th, 2012, 12:47 am

The year: 1855. A pair of Portuguese men decided there was money to be made publishing a Portuguese-to-English dictionary. The only problem: they didn't speak English. However, they both spoke passable French, and they already had a French-to-English dictionary...
And thus was born "English As She Is Spoke", the world's first ironic best-seller (a work that sells well because it is so incredibly bad). Some are simply bad literal translations of the phrases ("The stone as roll not heap up not foam" rather than "a rolling stone gathers no moss"), and others are train-wrecks of pronouns and prepositions; other times I don't even know what they meant: some of their "Idiotisms and Proverbs" (yes, "idiotisms") include "To craunch the marmoset" and "Few, few the bird make her nest". Mark Twain would eventually write the introduction to the American edition, and he quoted a line that I feel encapsulated the whole experience: "It is difficult to enjoy well so much several langages."

Another example: one of the "familiar dialogues": "The Fishing".
That pond it seems me many multiplied of fishes. Let us amuse rather to the fishing.
I do like-it too much.
Here, there is a wand and some hooks.
Silence! there is a superb perch! Give me quick the rod. Ah! there is, it is a lamprey.
You mistake you, it is a frog! dip again it in the water.
Durvin

Re: Engrish is not a new phenomenon

Postby mitchellbravo » September 17th, 2012, 8:09 pm

There's something so soothing and pleasant about engrish. Even the angriest message becomes so incoherent that it is entirely pacified.

I also love when spambots post in really poetic engrish. Almost makes me sad to see the posts go. (I sometimes save the really skillful ones in a text doc)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Alexis_Royce » October 8th, 2012, 11:34 am

Durvin wrote:The year: 1855. A pair of Portuguese men decided there was money to be made publishing a Portuguese-to-English dictionary. The only problem: they didn't speak English. However, they both spoke passable French, and they already had a French-to-English dictionary...
And thus was born "English As She Is Spoke", the world's first ironic best-seller (a work that sells well because it is so incredibly bad).

That sounds hilarious. I've got to check and see if it's been reprinted...

...oh yeah. This book is still easily obtainable. Excellent.
Alexis_Royce

Postby corruption » October 17th, 2012, 1:09 am

I think Engrish would be easier to understand then what some people who finish High School can manage.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby mitchellbravo » October 17th, 2012, 4:51 pm

corruption wrote:I think Engrish would be easier to understand then what some people who finish High School can manage.

Yeah, typically more literate than the average youtube/Yahoo comment
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby flyingtoast » March 15th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Alexis_Royce wrote:
Durvin wrote:The year: 1855. A pair of Portuguese men decided there was money to be made publishing a Portuguese-to-English dictionary. The only problem: they didn't speak English. However, they both spoke passable French, and they already had a French-to-English dictionary...
And thus was born "English As She Is Spoke", the world's first ironic best-seller (a work that sells well because it is so incredibly bad).

That sounds hilarious. I've got to check and see if it's been reprinted...

...oh yeah. This book is still easily obtainable. Excellent.

Kitchen utensils.

The skimming-dish
The spark
The potlid
The fire
The pothanger
The smoke
The spunge
The clout
The jack.

Fishes and shell-fishes

Calamary
Dorado
A sorte of fish
Hedge hog
Large lobster
Muscles
Snail
Wolf
Torpedo
Sea-calf.
flyingtoast

Postby SoulRaider116 » June 27th, 2016, 2:15 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:
corruption wrote:I think Engrish would be easier to understand then what some people who finish High School can manage.

Yeah, typically more literate than the average youtube/Yahoo comment

Methinks thou dost speak truthfully.

I just wanted to say methinks...because really...when does one get that opportunity anymore?

Slight rant
Spoiler! :
But dear Lord...people with English as a first language these days; I've embarrassed myself commenting on Fanfiction and applauding the skill language of second language English speakers only to have the author tell me they are a born and raised American.

At that point I am embarrassed threefold. One: that (arbitrarily chosen nationality) author whose fic I just read understood our language and it's usage better than an American high school student. Two, this student somehow failed to learn the art of paragraphs and punctuation. Three...this is my country...how humiliating.

Oh, was I meant to be embarrassed about getting the person's country of origin wrong? That too I guess.
SOUL RAIDER 116 does Prose and Poetry

Unfortunately I can't draw comic quality images... :(

I write though! Interested in reading some of my work, visit the above link! I have an ongoing story called New Life!
SoulRaider116

Return to Books & Literature