What are some good morally ambiguous stories?

What are some good morally ambiguous stories?

Postby Randumbz » April 13th, 2014, 9:30 am

I want to read something that's similar to Death Note, Code Geass and Gantz. It doesn't have to be a comic, I just want something with a dark mood an morally ambiguous characters. I really liked the way that those stories presented their message. Death Note was saying that humans shouldn't try to be gods, Code Geass's message was that sometimes you have to become a monster in order to save people and Gantz was saying that you should trust in your own abilities and do your best instead of relying on others. I want to be able to write something similar to those comics, so I want to read more things like them.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Re: What are some good morally ambiguous stories?

Postby Nymine » April 13th, 2014, 11:42 am

Ooo, I can think of a bunch of books.If we're talking a dark tones with ambiguities on morality/who is the real monster/the evils of man etc., these are just a few off of the top of my head.
*Nooootes* Some of these have been adapted over the years, but seriously, read the books. There's a lot of subtleties that have been scooted around for the sake of cinema that get 'lost in translation' so to speak, or things that were flat out changed to suit whatever. Any hoo, ready list beloo:

Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Isle of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain; the least abridged the better but good luck with that.

The Tripod Trilogy(+Prequel) by John Christopher, that is, When the Tripods Came, The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire. Absolutely fantastic sci-fi series.

Robot Dreams: A Compilation of Short Stories by Isaac Asimov - Personal favorites from this are Sally, Little Lost Robot(has heavy references to Frankenstein hay haay), The Machine that Won the War, Does a Bee Care? and Robot Dreams

Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie. Seriously, just about anything by Agatha(ESPECIALLY THE INSPECTOR POIROT SERIES EE), but this one is really good. Try to get the unabridged(easy to spot; the abridged is now called 'Ten Little Sailors'). The center piece of the book is a rather racist(and horrific) nursery rhyme which has purpose and meaning to the story telling beyond being a horrible racist nursery rhyme. You'll see what I mean.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Masque of the Red Death
The Tell-Tale Heart all by Edgar Allen Poe//Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with his works, but even I have to step outside of my bias and admit all three are super good.

*taps chin* I think that's a good start.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Randumbz » April 13th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Nymine wrote:Ooo, I can think of a bunch of books.If we're talking a dark tones with ambiguities on morality/who is the real monster/the evils of man etc., these are just a few off of the top of my head.
*Nooootes* Some of these have been adapted over the years, but seriously, read the books. There's a lot of subtleties that have been scooted around for the sake of cinema that get 'lost in translation' so to speak, or things that were flat out changed to suit whatever. Any hoo, ready list beloo:

Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Isle of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain; the least abridged the better but good luck with that.

The Tripod Trilogy(+Prequel) by John Christopher, that is, When the Tripods Came, The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire. Absolutely fantastic sci-fi series.

Robot Dreams: A Compilation of Short Stories by Isaac Asimov - Personal favorites from this are Sally, Little Lost Robot(has heavy references to Frankenstein hay haay), The Machine that Won the War, Does a Bee Care? and Robot Dreams

Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie. Seriously, just about anything by Agatha(ESPECIALLY THE INSPECTOR POIROT SERIES EE), but this one is really good. Try to get the unabridged(easy to spot; the abridged is now called 'Ten Little Sailors'). The center piece of the book is a rather racist(and horrific) nursery rhyme which has purpose and meaning to the story telling beyond being a horrible racist nursery rhyme. You'll see what I mean.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Masque of the Red Death
The Tell-Tale Heart all by Edgar Allen Poe//Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with his works, but even I have to step outside of my bias and admit all three are super good.

*taps chin* I think that's a good start.

Thanks a lot :)
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Vitotamito » July 11th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I've heard the books Dexter are based on are pretty good. Having a serial killer be the main character seems pretty morally ambiguous.

I've also heard that the Battle Royale book has some pretty interesting moral stuff in it.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Randumbz » July 11th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Vitotamito wrote:I've heard the books Dexter are based on are pretty good. Having a serial killer be the main character seems pretty morally ambiguous.

I've also heard that the Battle Royale book has some pretty interesting moral stuff in it.

I've been thinking about whether or not to read Battle Royale.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby pushingthehabit » July 11th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Enders Game
Forget the weird movie and any of the sequels, just read Ender's Game.
In case you don't know, it's about Ender, a kid going through training in the army to one day defeat the alien threat that will soon return. Only problem though is that Ender is good, really good, and everyone has to decide how far they are willing to push and destroy a child to save humanity.
Oh hey look a signature.
pushingthehabit

Postby Vitotamito » July 19th, 2014, 12:34 pm

pushingthehabit wrote:Enders Game
In case you don't know, it's about Ender, a kid going through training in the army to one day defeat the alien threat that will soon return. Only problem though is that Ender is good, really good, and everyone has to decide how far they are willing to push and destroy a child to save humanity.

Regardless what TYPE of book you're looking to read, Ender's Game is the greatest book ever written by man, so, you know, it's worth it.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Randumbz » July 19th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Vitotamito wrote:
pushingthehabit wrote:Enders Game

Regardless what TYPE of book you're looking to read, Ender's Game is the greatest book ever written by man, so, you know, it's worth it.

I thought the greatest book ever written was Youth in revolt, but I guess if you like it that much I should check it out haha.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby gun21 » July 26th, 2014, 1:36 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire kind of exemplifies Moral Ambiguity.

Like, Lord of the Rings is pretty black and white with the fight against Sauron, but what kind of Tax Policy does Aragorn put onto his people after his inauguration as king? What if it turns out that rebel group of impoverished civilians is planning a violent coup? Does Aragorn assassinate their leadership in secret to save lives?
gun21

Postby Alexis_Royce » August 28th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Fight Club. It deals with themes of personal agency and the importance of any one person in a potentially uncaring society. And Tyler Durden's outlook on life isn't exactly the most morally sound or healthy one.
Alexis_Royce

Postby xox1melly1xox » August 28th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Not quite sure if this would fit into the category well, but
Books
The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas (unabridged definitely)
Manga
Pandora Hearts
Spiral Suiri no Kizuna
xox1melly1xox

Postby cornelius7 » June 27th, 2016, 8:40 am

You mean, other than A song of Ice and Fire?
cornelius7

Postby Randumbz » June 27th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Way to revive a dead thread haha. And I don't find Game of Thrones to be that morally ambiguous. It's always clear who's in the right and who's in the wrong.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Ian Evans » June 27th, 2016, 9:12 pm

A clockwork orange
All quiet on the western front
Hamlet
Things fall apart
Heart of darkness
The Catcher in the Rye
The Lathe of Heaven
Ian Evans

Postby MIgman » November 10th, 2016, 4:57 am

I know, two years late but I'm guessing you're still reading books!
How about a few that once turned the novel writing genre on its head? They influenced many 'counter-culture writers' including the Beats.

Henry Miller - Tropic of Cancer (morals... what morals?)
Louis Ferdinand Celine - Death On Credit - or - Journey To The End Of The Night (a misanthropic doctor)
Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime And Punishment (deeply examines the mind of a killer)

Hope those are a help.

Updates Thursdays!
MIgman

Return to Books & Literature