1st Person Sci-Fi/Fantasy Recommendations

1st Person Sci-Fi/Fantasy Recommendations

Postby YunikoYokai » March 31st, 2018, 4:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to improve my writing and storytelling, so I want to read some fantasy/Sci-fi books. But I'd prefer to read 1st person since that's what I writing in most of the time (I just find it more comfortable). If that is too limiting, then 3rd person limited would be a good second choice. I'd prefer sci-fi since I haven't read anywhere near as much Sci-fi as fantasy.

Thanks in advance!
YunikoYokai

Re: 1st Person Sci-Fi/Fantasy Recommendations

Postby AsphaltEvidence » April 1st, 2018, 9:36 am

I've got a pretty big list of Sci-fi books!
I'll sort them by Author. Please keep in mind that not all of these are meant for all ages.

Ann Leckie
Ancillary Justice - The revenge story of a troopship AI. First Person.
Ancillary Sword - In series with above.
Ancillary Mercy - In series with above.
Provenance - A young woman goes on a journey to get rich. Third Person Limited.

Becky Chambers
The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet - A long-haul crew goes on a very long journey to create a wormhole passage through space. Third Person Limited (jumps between crew members).
A Closed and Common Orbit - The story of a new AI adjusting to a world not meant for it. Third Person Limited (two characters but only changes between chapters).

Martha Wells
All Systems Red - A security robot has to defend its clients on a hostile world. First Person.

C. Robert Cargill
Sea of Rust - A robot scavenges in the wastelands in a post-apocalyptic world with no humans. Its only enemies are other robots and time. First Person.

Andy Weir
The Martian - You may have watched the movie, but everybody knows the book is better. First Person and some Third Person.

Scott Westerfield
Leviathan - It's World War I but the Triple Alliance have steampunk mechs (that look totally badass) and the Triple Entente have massive, genetically engineered beasts. This story follows two characters: an Austrian prince and a British midshipman. Third Person Limited (two characters).
Behemoth - In series with above.
Goliath - In series with above.

Ian Douglas
Bloodstar - A corpsman/medic is thrown into battle with aliens and humans on other planets. First Person.
Abyss Deep - In series with above.

I have more if you'd like me to post them.
AsphaltEvidence

Postby Randumbz » April 1st, 2018, 8:38 pm

Neuromancer
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Otto Gruenwald » October 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

How Interesting: A tiny man by the late, great Harlan ellsion.
Otto Gruenwald

Return to Books & Literature