Is it bad to become famous for doing adaptations?

Is it bad to become famous for doing adaptations?

Postby MK_Wizard » September 14th, 2018, 7:19 am

A lot of people make their big break by taking an existing tale and making an adaptation out of it. Walt Disney did it, Don Bluth did it and so did many others. And I can't lie that one of my big plans in art is that I want to do for monsters what Disney did to the princess. I want to take the ones we know and reinvent them.

Is it bad to try to get out there like this? Does it make you any less original?
MK_Wizard

Re: Is it bad to become famous for doing adaptations?

Postby eishiya » September 14th, 2018, 8:21 am

It's not "bad". It's also still plenty original, because you don't get famous rehashing the same stories the exact same way, you have to come up with a new and interesting take, and that takes just as much creativity as an original story, especially when the space is already so crowded with adaptations.

Original stories don't spring out of nothing, they just hide their inspirations more.
eishiya

Re: Is it bad to become famous for doing adaptations?

Postby Strelok_401 » September 27th, 2018, 8:53 am

Eh, I wouldn't say so. Transposing an already existing piece of art to another media IS something that demands talent. Let's take the example of the movie adaptation of a book. You're not just telling the same story on screen. You choose which parts have to be highlighted. You choose how the characters will look like. You choose the timing of the story. You choose how the universe and backgrounds look like. How everyone sounds like. What the musical theme will be. What the visual ambiance will be. For example, let's take something we've all watched : the Harry Potter movies. Are they good? Yes. I'm not a part of the HP fandom, but they're objectively good movies. Could you imagine them being as good if the key scenes weren't filmed the same way? If Hogwarts looked differently? If the characters weren't shown in the same way? Probably not.
Strelok_401

Return to Books & Literature