Page 2 of 3

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: November 21st, 2012, 4:19 pm
by Nikkinoodles
mariealbertine wrote:Is Mystery/Crime/Detective too much of a subgenre to get it's own category? (Or am I blind and it's there somewhere??)


Oh poop, I knew that there was one we'd missed.

Didn't I tell you guys I felt like we were forgetting something?!

Very sorry Marieal, I'll get onto the organiser's forum and see how people feel about adding another category as it's a fair enough one that we completely forgot.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: November 21st, 2012, 4:40 pm
by Guest
Oh great, thank you! I write a detective comic so I'm definitely self-interested, but there are at least one or two other mystery comics I really enjoy that I think would do better in this category than, say action or drama :-)

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 10:28 pm
by kuroi_hitsuji
Is gag-a-day limited to comics that update daily? What if they update twice a week or something, but are four-panel comics with jokes on their own?

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 11:18 pm
by mitchellbravo
kuroi_hitsuji wrote:Is gag-a-day limited to comics that update daily? What if they update twice a week or something, but are four-panel comics with jokes on their own?

It is not limited to comics that update daily. Gag-a-day means that the comic is focused on jokes and doesn't need to be read in a specific order, because there generally isn't a dramatic plotline necessary. Think "The Far Side" or similar newspaper comics.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 10:12 pm
by Hatter98
Can comics still be nominated?

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 10:19 pm
by mitchellbravo
Hatter98 wrote:Can comics still be nominated?

No. The nominations ended last December. Abrahamian answered this in the other thread. Nominations began last November, 2012, and ended last December, 2012.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 9:48 am
by TheSilverLeague
If its set up anything like the previous years, I hope the preview images to each of the nominees uses what the staff considers one of the best panels/pages of the comics...I know looking at my own comic if it made the cut...lordie the preview chapter (even a bit of chapter 1...) are semi embarrassing looking back..lol. I dunno if any other comic authors here can relate.

How are those images chosen? I'm actually curious if its pretty much how I just assumed.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 10:14 am
by mitchellbravo
TheSilverLeague wrote:If its set up anything like the previous years, I hope the preview images to each of the nominees uses what the staff considers one of the best panels/pages of the comics...I know looking at my own comic if it made the cut...lordie the preview chapter (even a bit of chapter 1...) are semi embarrassing looking back..lol. I dunno if any other comic authors here can relate.

How are those images chosen? I'm actually curious if its pretty much how I just assumed.

We didn't do preview images this year, you'll see how the layout is once the voting opens, but it's more of a banner link so that readers click to check the comic out themselves. (Which I think is fair, it's difficult to sum up an entire comic with just one panel, you know?)

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 11:24 am
by chicken-blast
I personally applaud you guys for setting up this year's voting in such a fashion. It's unique and meticulous and hopefully will encourage people to actually read before voting. I can see why it took so much time to put everything together. Kudos for pulling this off!

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 12:01 pm
by mitchellbravo
chicken-blast wrote:I personally applaud you guys for setting up this year's voting in such a fashion. It's unique and meticulous and hopefully will encourage people to actually read before voting. I can see why it took so much time to put everything together. Kudos for pulling this off!

I'm glad you like it! I hope you'll find the interface very navigable and intuitive :) Falconer did a really top job coding all of it. I think arranging things this way is more in keeping with the spirit of what the awards should be about- not just highlighting good comics that have a lot of audience clout, but also showcasing lesser known comics that deserve more attention.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 6:18 pm
by TheSilverLeague
just makes me wanna see what this is gonna be liike allll the more

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 8:14 pm
by Hatter98
Where's the voting link?

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm
by chicken-blast
If you take a closer look, it's been moved to the news forum.

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 5:03 pm
by SUGauthor
So...is there going to be a Smack Jeeves Awards this year?

Re: WELCOME TO THE 2012-2013 SMACKIE AWARDS FORUM!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2015, 10:24 pm
by ashtree-house
Or this year? Haha