Nominations NOW OVER!

Announcements and nominations for the Smackies!

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby TheSilverLeague » April 16th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'd wanna see who's judging my work anyways lol
User avatar
TheSilverLeague
 
Posts: 27
Joined: October 11th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby mitchellbravo » April 17th, 2013, 9:30 am

TheSilverLeague wrote:I'd wanna see who's judging my work anyways lol

The list of judges is spoilered in each of the nomination threads, if you're curious :)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Krazehhcakes » April 17th, 2013, 9:42 am

There should be a list of the judges but not their comics.
I'm sorry to be crass but the nomations are NOT about the judge's comics and it would be kinda not right if they had constant exposure while contestants are only given per round. If people were interested in judge's comics they'd click on the judge's names and be redirected.
Image
User avatar
Krazehhcakes
 
Posts: 320
Joined: September 6th, 2012, 5:16 am
Location: In your internetz, eating your porn

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby TheSilverLeague » April 17th, 2013, 10:49 am

well that's what I imagined would be done anyways just cuz I click peoples names for the heck of curiosity, lol
User avatar
TheSilverLeague
 
Posts: 27
Joined: October 11th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby mitchellbravo » April 17th, 2013, 11:08 am

Krazehhcakes wrote:There should be a list of the judges but not their comics.
I'm sorry to be crass but the nomations are NOT about the judge's comics and it would be kinda not right if they had constant exposure (?) while contestants are only given per round. If people were interested in judge's comics they'd click on the judge's names and be redirected.

I didn't envision having links to the judges' comics displayed prominently on every page of the voting process. I pictured it more like at the end, like when the credits roll on a movie and by that point everyone's already gone and not paying attention anyway. But hey, all us judges, we're just attention whores, right? We'd totally have our banners all over the voting site practically blocking people from being able to see the actual nominated comics!
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Krazehhcakes » April 17th, 2013, 11:29 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
Krazehhcakes wrote:There should be a list of the judges but not their comics.
I'm sorry to be crass but the nomations are NOT about the judge's comics and it would be kinda not right if they had constant exposure (?) while contestants are only given per round. If people were interested in judge's comics they'd click on the judge's names and be redirected.

I didn't envision having links to the judges' comics displayed prominently on every page of the voting process. I pictured it more like at the end, like when the credits roll on a movie and by that point everyone's already gone and not paying attention anyway. But hey, all us judges, we're just attention whores, right? We'd totally have our banners all over the voting site practically blocking people from being able to see the actual nominated comics!


Your sarcasm is unnecessary. I have no problem with judge's names and links to their "profiles" available. Because the profile is more a general about this person credit. but their comics have nothing to do with the nomination awards (sorry but that's the job you've stepped up to do) while the awards in essence is through rounds of comics who were nominated with the wins and losses, those are very temporary moments of glories to the losers whereas the credits with the judge's works is like a silver flag of attention when judges should be impartial. You're doing this as a service not for your own personal comic traffic. You as a judge can take credit for your hard work not your comics.
Image
User avatar
Krazehhcakes
 
Posts: 320
Joined: September 6th, 2012, 5:16 am
Location: In your internetz, eating your porn

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby mitchellbravo » April 17th, 2013, 12:09 pm

I don't disagree with a thing you've said there, as that's all patently true. My confusion is how that would amount to "constant exposure." I doubt any sort of credits page would amount to this acme of glory as you've made it up to sound. People really don't give a shit who ran the awards, people pay attention to who won. Saying "Here's a list of the folks who helped put this thing together" isn't going to be the peak of the awards, and if it is, if that's the part that everyone's looking forward to the most, then that's very sad and really not anywhere close to what we're trying to do. I'm very confused as to why any sort of crediting would garner more attention than the awards themselves.

Besides, a link to a profile for judges would be all I'd envision anyway, considering several of the judging staff don't even have comics, or at least not updating comics.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Afrohawkman » April 17th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I'll be honest here, I'd really like to hear some other people's opinions on this matter. Not trying to debase your argument Krazehhcakes but it just doesn't sound very..."popular". What I mean by this is that I can't see other people holding this opinion. On the one hand, it's volunteer work so it should be done just for the sake of doing it. On the other hand...it's just a small blurb. It's not like last year's debacle when people were upset about the judges' comics being in because it's not a part of the awards itself. It's just a little credits thing.

Let's face it, most people do not care about who puts their things together. If you're one of those people who watch the credits at the end of a movie, game, or TV show, then I applaud your efforts but you're in the minority. With the current system having the authors on the Smack Jeeves comic page, is essentially just that; a credits that no one will look at except for the very few who already know about the person or are really thankful to the people for whatever reason. The awards are a ton of work and involve a lot of talented and dedicated people. Maybe it's not necessary that they talk about their comics but I DO think they deserve more recognition than just a forum post and the minor mention on site.
User avatar
Afrohawkman
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Krazehhcakes » April 17th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:I'll be honest here, I'd really like to hear some other people's opinions on this matter. Not trying to debase your argument Krazehhcakes but it just doesn't sound very..."popular". What I mean by this is that I can't see other people holding this opinion. On the one hand, it's volunteer work so it should be done just for the sake of doing it. On the other hand...it's just a small blurb. It's not like last year's debacle when people were upset about the judges' comics being in because it's not a part of the awards itself. It's just a little credits thing.

Let's face it, most people do not care about who puts their things together. If you're one of those people who watch the credits at the end of a movie, game, or TV show, then I applaud your efforts but you're in the minority. With the current system having the authors on the Smack Jeeves comic page, is essentially just that; a credits that no one will look at except for the very few who already know about the person or are really thankful to the people for whatever reason. The awards are a ton of work and involve a lot of talented and dedicated people. Maybe it's not necessary that they talk about their comics but I DO think they deserve more recognition than just a forum post and the minor mention on site.


Doesn't sound popular? What does popularity Or popular opinion have anything to do with this.
How are people not interested? Last I checked the awards ceremony always opened with the judge's announcement and a credits before and after the show is enough. You said to advertise their comics and I said no, I did not not not not say that the judge's name should not be shown or not given credit. Just be sure to know the line between credit and advertising because what you suggested was advertising.

Honestly what the good gracious hell guys, I gave an opinion that doesnt in fact oppose your notion just a controversial aspect of it and I get greeted with my opinion being unpopular therefore shot down and sarcasm.
Image
User avatar
Krazehhcakes
 
Posts: 320
Joined: September 6th, 2012, 5:16 am
Location: In your internetz, eating your porn

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby mitchellbravo » April 17th, 2013, 2:46 pm

For what it's worth, I don't see AHM shooting down your opinion, just asking for more people to comment on it to get more sides to the idea than just his, mine, and yours.

And I'm sorry for the sarcasm earlier, I just feel like this whole process seems like we as judges can't do anything right and there's always going to be some issue we didn't think of or something we did wrong and stupidly. It bugs me a little bit and gets me on edge.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Afrohawkman » April 17th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Krazehhcakes wrote:Doesn't sound popular? What does popularity or popular opinion have anything to do with this.

Ah sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the matter because it's a community-wide event and it affects everyone so it'd be nice to get more feedback about the situation.
User avatar
Afrohawkman
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby TheSilverLeague » April 17th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Personally I wouldn't care since its not like everyone involved in the judging process is exactly...popular, some of course will be front headlines of smackjeezes probably but others might be just as low in the "fan count" as some of the nominees, if not less then, so hey, its about discovering new comics and celebrating the hard work we all put into our stories, and I think hard work running an event should earn its own moment of applause.

EDIT:
This time around though...I really hope there isn't a public vote...or if there is...is that what decides the winner of the award? Because I kind of don't like that...if only because that'd defeat the purpose of having judges beyond picking the nominees but eh! I dunno!
User avatar
TheSilverLeague
 
Posts: 27
Joined: October 11th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby Zyephen » April 19th, 2013, 8:51 am

I was wondering exactly when the nominations are going to be posted for the public to see.
User avatar
Zyephen
 
Posts: 5
Joined: September 9th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby eishiya » April 19th, 2013, 9:18 am

TheSilverLeague wrote:Personally I wouldn't care since its not like everyone involved in the judging process is exactly...popular, some of course will be front headlines of smackjeezes probably but others might be just as low in the "fan count" as some of the nominees, if not less then, so hey, its about discovering new comics and celebrating the hard work we all put into our stories, and I think hard work running an event should earn its own moment of applause.

EDIT:
This time around though...I really hope there isn't a public vote...or if there is...is that what decides the winner of the award? Because I kind of don't like that...if only because that'd defeat the purpose of having judges beyond picking the nominees but eh! I dunno!

The purpose of the judges is to narrow down the nominees so that people are more likely to actually read all the comics and vote fairly. If there are too many choices, nobody's going to read all the options. Judges also serve as quality control, to prevent comics from winning based entirely on popularity rather than any other merits.

The popular vote is problematic for a number of reasons, but it doesn't make judges obsolete. It's also been decided time and time again that the popular vote is a necessary evil. These are the SmackJeeves awards, not the a few forum regulars awards. Moreover, the voting is actually where the real purpose of the Smackies shows through: give people lots of good SJ comics to read. Those nominations are what the judges have chosen as the "top few comics worth reading" for those categories. So, if you want to find more worthwhile comics to read, there you go (and if you don't, why are you at the awards anyway xP). The actual voting process is there to make the community feel more involved, but by the time the voting is closed, the Smackies may as well be over. The winners are there so that the authors and fans can have something to feel good about, and to give people with less time on their hands a smaller, popularly-supported selection of comics to choose from. The real purpose of the awards lies in those nominees.

Of course, a lot of people don't realize that reading more good comics is the whole point, and don't read the nominees :/ Their loss.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9561
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby kotor » April 23rd, 2013, 10:41 am

eishiya wrote:Important, very true stuffs.


I agree with everything I read here. As a creator of comic, getting nominated for the last Smackies was my reward - winning wouldn't have done much to make me more thrilled than I already was with the opportunity for more people to see my comic. As a reader of comics, the Smackjeeves award is a great opportunity for me to find loads of new comics to read, rather than a chance to show my support for a comic I already read.
Image
Image
User avatar
kotor
 
Posts: 666
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 12:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Smack Jeeves Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest