Nominations NOW OVER!

Announcements and nominations for the Smackies!

Re: Nominations NOW OVER!

Postby blankd » April 23rd, 2013, 8:21 pm

I actually have a question in light of delays- what happens to comics that have stopped updating for 6 months by the time the site launches or if for some reason the author declares the comic dead? (This is excluding the slim chance that a comic finishes of course.) Will they still be eligible?

That probably sounds like an odd question but it's just a curiosity.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby mitchellbravo » April 24th, 2013, 2:29 pm

blankd wrote:I actually have a question in light of delays- what happens to comics that have stopped updating for 6 months by the time the site launches or if for some reason the author declares the comic dead? (This is excluding the slim chance that a comic finishes of course.) Will they still be eligible?

That probably sounds like an odd question but it's just a curiosity.

Good question! They will, since it's an error/issue on our end and no fault of the creators.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Bliss » April 28th, 2013, 5:11 pm

If you are a member of the SJ Awards 2013 staff, please head to our forums to discuss important matters.
Bliss

Postby snugglebunny » May 20th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Been about a month since the last update. Just seeing if things are still happening.
snugglebunny

Postby mitchellbravo » May 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Still happening, just moving way slower than expected.
mitchellbravo

Postby Zimeta08 » May 31st, 2013, 4:18 am

Any guesses on when this'll be up? (It's been almost half a year since the nominations ended, my goodness!)
I'm going to be moving soon, and I have the feeling I'm going to end up missing this. ;_;
Zimeta08

Postby Nikkinoodles » May 31st, 2013, 8:15 am

We're going through submissions now and narrowing down a few of the nominations. It's going to be a tough one I think, there's loads of great comics out there.

We do want to make it clear that those nominated comics that don't make it through to the voting bit will be recognised and mentioned at the end. The Awards are about bringing people's attention to comics that might have been missed otherwise and recognising the work and devotion that people put into their comics. In the end it's not really about who's the best artist or storyteller, it's about comics and giving people the chance to get their work out there and seen.
Eishiya said: wrote:groin attacks build character

Muh blog
Nikkinoodles

Postby TheSilverLeague » June 15th, 2013, 12:15 am

Is there any way any of us can help out if its needed? I ask just because I don't know if this length to get set ups is normal or if this years just...rougher then others or whathave ya, anything to get the fun ball rollin! lol
TheSilverLeague

Postby mitchellbravo » June 15th, 2013, 10:38 am

TheSilverLeague wrote:Is there any way any of us can help out if its needed? I ask just because I don't know if this length to get set ups is normal or if this years just...rougher then others or whathave ya, anything to get the fun ball rollin! lol

That's really kind of you to ask! We'll be sure to let you know. This year has been a bit rough because of how long everything took, so some of the team wasn't able to commit to it for this length of time. Right now we're going through the nominations to select the 15 finalists* to go into the voting round (this is the only part of the process that the judges actually have personal input on) and I just need to do that for three more categories and we'll be set to get the site assembled and then pass it back to the forums at large for the voting to begin.

I'm not sure what makes this year different than other years, perhaps we were all just too ambitious in our early meetings and it became difficult to maintain that level of dedication? (And I'm not saying that to like, shame anybody or any weird shit like that, stuff happens, heck if I was still at my crappy old job I doubt I'd have been able to stick with it)

*Even though only 15 comics go on to each category's final round, we will have pages where we list all of the qualified nominees for that category anyway.
mitchellbravo

Postby TheSilverLeague » June 16th, 2013, 1:00 pm

By 15 for the finals is that for each particularly category? If so, then I know some will obviously be easier then other because some genre's didn't even get like..10, lol not that that's a bad thing just either not a lot in that category or its a quiet group. Or is this 15 finals for like..comic of the year or something?

Now that I think about it, is the process putting into account where the comic is currently at? or only at the time of Nomination? I'm curious because I personally back during the nomination times made sure to get...god what was it, chapter 2? finished on time because I wanted to have the comic on a note that best presented why I feel like it deserves a nomination... and even now I still work hard/efficient to get chapters ended since...end chapters always seem (for me) to be a good way to leave an impression on people, just curious cuz I know it might make comics who since December have..stopped updating completely notttt..look in the best light maybe? Nah prob not but just curious.

I completely understand the over ambition though I'm guilty of that all the time, lol.
TheSilverLeague

Postby mitchellbravo » June 16th, 2013, 1:59 pm

TheSilverLeague wrote:By 15 for the finals is that for each particularly category? If so, then I know some will obviously be easier then other because some genre's didn't even get like..10, lol not that that's a bad thing just either not a lot in that category or its a quiet group. Or is this 15 finals for like..comic of the year or something?

Now that I think about it, is the process putting into account where the comic is currently at? or only at the time of Nomination? I'm curious because I personally back during the nomination times made sure to get...god what was it, chapter 2? finished on time because I wanted to have the comic on a note that best presented why I feel like it deserves a nomination... and even now I still work hard/efficient to get chapters ended since...end chapters always seem (for me) to be a good way to leave an impression on people, just curious cuz I know it might make comics who since December have..stopped updating completely notttt..look in the best light maybe? Nah prob not but just curious.

I completely understand the over ambition though I'm guilty of that all the time, lol.

We're looking at the whole comic, I don't think any of us are buggers enough to only look at the comic leading up to the nominating time :P
And 15 for each category. Yeah, some categories only had a handful of nominations. Fantasy had the most, I think over 50, and yaoi of course was second most :P
mitchellbravo

Postby snugglebunny » July 19th, 2013, 6:12 pm

I hope it's not annoying that I bump this because it's been a month since the last post.
snugglebunny

Postby mitchellbravo » July 19th, 2013, 6:40 pm

snugglebunny wrote:I hope it's not annoying that I bump this because it's been a month since the last post.

It's not annoying, no worries. We've reached a bit of a standstill due to various issues. I promise I'll keep everybody updated when it looks like we're picking back up again.

We've put too much work into it to just let everything fall through, so it's not like we're just giving up and walking away. Just asking for some patience and understanding from everyone. Sorry for the recurring delays.
mitchellbravo

Postby chicken-blast » July 22nd, 2013, 8:16 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
snugglebunny wrote:I hope it's not annoying that I bump this because it's been a month since the last post.

It's not annoying, no worries. We've reached a bit of a standstill due to various issues. I promise I'll keep everybody updated when it looks like we're picking back up again.

We've put too much work into it to just let everything fall through, so it's not like we're just giving up and walking away. Just asking for some patience and understanding from everyone. Sorry for the recurring delays.

You can do it, Smitchells and team! Sometimes all you need is words of encouragement.

Maybe not this time though.
chicken-blast

Postby mitchellbravo » July 22nd, 2013, 11:05 am

Hehe. Still appreciated, blasty chicken man.
mitchellbravo

PreviousNext

Return to Smack Jeeves Awards