Recommended Page Size?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

Recommended Page Size?

Postby Yaro Goblin » December 6th, 2017, 4:39 pm

I've just started making comics and I have so many questions, but one of my main concerns is page size. Obviously it varies from artist to artist, but is there a preferred/recommended size that I should make each page? Which is easiest to read? Which makes the comic look better? Or does it really matter?

Thanks to anyone who's willing to answer! :D
Yaro Goblin

Re: Recommended Page Size?

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 5:11 pm

A good size is about 7" wide on the screen, it keeps the eyes from moving too much horizontally and thus reduces eye strain. That's why newspapers and most news websites have their text in relatively narrow columns, even if they have way more space to work with. Most low-dpi screens these days are around 100dpi, so that's about 700px wide. The height can be anything, but around a height of 1000px is a good size because it fits the page on most low-dpi screens. As a bonus, this also makes pages that make for relatively small files that load quickly, and it's a size that looks fine on small high-dpi screens such as smartphone screens.

If your comic is a wide strip rather than a tall page, then a max width of about 1000~1200px is good, though you may want to think about how that affects people reading the comic on mobile.

High-dpi screens are another story. They have, well, higher dpi and thus need more pixels to show an image at the same size. High-dpi screens are common on mobile devices, and are making inroads for desktop screens as well. Fortunately, most mobile devices auto-zoom, and most high-dpi desktop users tend to have their web-browsing zoomed too. So, a 700px-wide page would still be appropriately sized on tablets and high-dpi monitors, though it wouldn't be taking advantage of the added clarity that a higher resolution would provide.

If you expect most of your readers to be using large, high-dpi screens (e.g. appealing to a very tech-savvy crowd or businesspeople who do a lot of their online stuff on tablets), then you may want to upload larger images and scale them down to around 700px in width using CSS in your webcomic's template. This way the page will look alright* to people on low-dpi and small screens, but will also look crisp when zoomed on high-dpi screens.

* I say "alright" because browser image scaling is imperfect and can't be controlled as well as image scaling in a proper image editor. In addition, it also means loading a much larger image but not seeing the benefit of it.

Edit: If you plan to print your comic at some point, take that into consideration too! Pick a page size that's easy to print, and make sure your original art is high-res enough for print. It's much easier to scale an image down for the web than it is to scale it up for print.
eishiya

Postby Campion » December 6th, 2017, 7:49 pm

eishiya wrote:If your comic is a wide strip rather than a tall page, then a max width of about 1000~1200px is good, though you may want to think about how that affects people reading the comic on mobile.

Mine is a newspaper format, and I use 1800px, but since (the vast majority of) my strip is black and white, my strips only range between 70 and 300kb, which is an excellent tradeoff. Is it a large size? Yes, but it makes for a clear picture in the mobile viewer. Anything smaller than that looks pixelly on mobile.
Campion

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Campion wrote:
eishiya wrote:If your comic is a wide strip rather than a tall page, then a max width of about 1000~1200px is good, though you may want to think about how that affects people reading the comic on mobile.

Mine is a newspaper format, and I use 1800px, but since (the vast majority of) my strip is black and white, my strips only range between 70 and 300kb, which is an excellent tradeoff. Is it a large size? Yes, but it makes for a clear picture in the mobile viewer. Anything smaller than that looks pixelly on mobile.

By the effect on mobile I was actually referring to how annoying it is to scroll horizontal strips xP Then again, I might be in the minority in that I prefer to have the orientation on my phone locked to portrait and that I dislike horizontal flicking.
I mentioned the benefit of higher-res images and scaling them down for low-dpi screens in my post. My suggested sizes are display sizes / low-dpi screen sizes since that's what I'm used to. It looks like your 1800px strip is scaled down to 900px width on such screens, which makes it a good example this method.

Incidentally, I think your 900px width might be a bit small, it makes some of the letters blur together. I recommend bumping it up a tad.
eishiya

Postby Campion » December 6th, 2017, 8:36 pm

eishiya wrote:By the effect on mobile I was actually referring to how annoying it is to scroll horizontal strips xP

Using the mobile browser with defined frames negates the need to scroll, and that's what my comic is setup for.

eishiya wrote: Then again, I might be in the minority in that I prefer to have the orientation on my phone locked to portrait and that I dislike horizontal flicking.
I mentioned the benefit of higher-res images and scaling them down for low-dpi screens in my post. My suggested sizes are display sizes / low-dpi screen sizes since that's what I'm used to. It looks like your 1800px strip is scaled down to 900px width on such screens, which makes it a good example this method.

Why, thank you!

eishiya wrote:Incidentally, I think your 900px width might be a bit small, it makes some of the letters blur together. I recommend bumping it up a tad.

It's built for use with mobile and desktop browsers. Especially for desktops, and desktop emulations. Try resizing it a bit.

It'd be nice to have resolutions for all sorts of sizes, but that's not practical.
Campion

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Campion wrote:It's built for use with mobile and desktop browsers. Especially for desktops, and desktop emulations. Try resizing it a bit.

I'm using a smaller-than-average desktop screen, and the default 900px size feels small. I shouldn't have to zoom the page, the default size should be big enough xP Unless you're optimizing for desktop users with sub-1024px screens, I think you could stand to bump the size up to 1000px in width or so. Even tiny laptops and low-dpi tablets these days have screen sizes of at least 1440px in width, smaller screens are very rare outside of some low-budget phones (which would be using the mobile, single-panel UI anyway).
eishiya

Postby Campion » December 6th, 2017, 8:50 pm

eishiya wrote: Unless you're optimizing for desktop users with sub-1024px screens, I think you could stand to bump the size up to 1000px in width or so. Even tiny laptops and low-dpi tablets these days have screen sizes of at least 1440px in width, smaller screens are very rare outside of some low-budget phones (which would be using the mobile, single-panel UI anyway).

Well, that probably explains why you can't see it. 900px IS the smallest it goes, and I can make it smaller if I wanted, but you know how I said that the comic is 1800px? Well, you can also see full size as well, as it's MEANT to be seen, but only if you had a monitor that has high enough resolution.
Campion

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Campion wrote:
eishiya wrote: Unless you're optimizing for desktop users with sub-1024px screens, I think you could stand to bump the size up to 1000px in width or so. Even tiny laptops and low-dpi tablets these days have screen sizes of at least 1440px in width, smaller screens are very rare outside of some low-budget phones (which would be using the mobile, single-panel UI anyway).

Well, that probably explains why you can't see it. 900px IS the smallest it goes, and I can make it smaller if I wanted, but you know how I said that the comic is 1800px? Well, you can also see full size as well, as it's MEANT to be seen, but only if you had a monitor that has high enough resolution.

I think you misunderstand the "problem" I am describing. The 1800px image is fine, it's great that you're providing a high-res image and letting the browser take care of resizing it. I am saying that your desktop layout shouldn't scale it down so much by default, but scale it down less, to around 1000px rather than 900px. The source image is fine, it's the CSS that could use tweaking.
eishiya

Postby Campion » December 6th, 2017, 10:14 pm

eishiya wrote: to around 1000px rather than 900px. The source image is fine, it's the CSS that could use tweaking.

Ah, gotcha. Fixed. :)
Campion

Return to New Questions