Why can't Smackjeeves upload a comic "webtoon style"?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

Postby IVA_12 » May 31st, 2018, 4:47 am

Okay, here's what I mean: when I tried uploading a comic-page with the use of an image link, there are restrictions to the dimensions of the comic page. So I can't upload a comic that's vertical-wise, like in korean webtoons.

I mean, I get why admins would reinforce comic dimensions if you're gonna upload the image itself. But I can't understand why admins would limit comic dimensions if you're only going to use the image link.

(I tried doing the same thing in another webcomic hosting website and it doesn't result in the same problem as in Smackjeeves. I use SJ as my main comic hosting site and it would be awesome if SJ could attribute the same possibility--perhaps I'm not the only one who'll benefit from this!)

I hope the admins would modify this limitation, or at least explain the reason for the limitation.
Comic Status: ON HIATUS | Shall update on 1st Wednesday of July
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"To each one's own."
IVA_12

Re: Why can't Smackjeeves upload a comic "webtoon style"?

Postby kayotics » May 31st, 2018, 9:58 am

I'm not a mod nor do I have any insight into the backend of smackjeeves, but I'd say that 10,000px is incredibly tall. Webtoons height limit is 1280px for individual images, and Tapas puts a limit on individual images at 4,000 px. They just show multiple images in the same episode, as opposed to just one image at a time. Even if you have 7 images at maximum height for webtoons, you can combine them all into one and upload that, according to the Smackjeeves height limit.

As far as I'm aware, the demand to for Smackjeeves to allow Webtoons style comic uploads is just not there. Smackjeeves has been around long before webtoons, and follows the style of uploading that was common at the time. Most people who are using Smackjeeves aren't posting that style of comic. I could be very wrong on this, but I just don't think the community is demanding to post mobile-friendly versions of comic pages.
kayotics

Postby eishiya » May 31st, 2018, 10:24 am

SJ is for webcomics rather than webtoons, yep. Most of the comics here are horizontal strips or print-style, because those are the formats that were common when SJ was created (and as far as I can tell, the formats that still dominate outside of the webtoons-specific sites). Plus, the long-scroll format works on SJ pretty fine once split up into "pages", so there hasn't been any demand for auto-splitting features*.

There's no way to have a single multi-image episode here, but you can upload your episode as a series of tall pages and it'll still be quite readable, albeit with a few more clicks/swipes than on LWT (bright side = less lag due to less memory usage!). If you post each screenful as a separate page, then navigation will be just as simple as on Tapas/LWT, just with clicks/swipes instead of scrolling (vertical flicks). Splitting your episodes up into separate images is something you already have to do for LWT and Tapas anyway.

SJ has a mobile feature that lets you split your pages up into chunks for easier mobile reading, it lets you define panels and the mobile viewer jumps from panel to panel. But, this works per-image and doesn't let you split a giant chapter into screenfuls. If your "pages" are already optimised for mobile view, then defining chunks won't do you any good, and would even make your comic less pleasant to read. However, I recommend enabling the mobile reader anyway and then just not defining chunks, as it makes the mobile experience nicer for any kind of comic.

* One related feature that has been requested is a "chapter view" option that would make continuous scrolling through an entire chapter/episode possible. Hopefully we'll see that in the future, as it would benefit all kinds of comics and be lovely for binge-readers, without requiring any changes to SJ's backend.
eishiya

Postby Admin » May 31st, 2018, 10:31 am

My Life With Fel has webtoons-style pages. They're around 7000px tall, tops. What are the dimensions of the pages you're trying to upload?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby IVA_12 » June 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

Admin wrote:My Life With Fel has webtoons-style pages. They're around 7000px tall, tops. What are the dimensions of the pages you're trying to upload?

There's this one long strip i'd like to upload (it's supposed to be a a single strip that composes all of the pages of one chap) that's 800px wide and 12800+px long. I understand how it won't be a good idea to upload it since it's 4mb+ and the limitations are reasonable since it's a big factor to the loading time of the page.

But the point mentioned by @eishiya would be a very beneficial installment for interested OPs.
* One related feature that has been requested is a "chapter view" option that would make continuous scrolling through an entire chapter/episode possible. Hopefully we'll see that in the future, as it would benefit all kinds of comics and be lovely for binge-readers, without requiring any changes to SJ's backend.

It would be like in tapastic (i'm not saying which one is better, but it'd be great to improve on another's attribute, right?) and it can showcase "webtoon" style storytelling without the cost of slow loading time. It's brilliant!
Another point to consider if above installment would come to fruition, is if there'd be an option for the pages to continuously scroll seamlessly or not. Just to put it out there, since it'll depend on the OP's preference.

Cheers! :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"To each one's own."
IVA_12

Postby eishiya » June 3rd, 2018, 9:45 am

IVA_12 wrote:Another point to consider if above installment would come to fruition, is if there'd be an option for the pages to continuously scroll seamlessly or not. Just to put it out there, since it'll depend on the OP's preference.

Seamlessness would depend on the template one uses, so I don't think there needs to be a toggle for this, except for perhaps the mobile reader, which doesn't use the templates.
eishiya

Postby IVA_12 » June 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

eishiya wrote:Seamlessness would depend on the template one uses, so I don't think there needs to be a toggle for this, except for perhaps the mobile reader, which doesn't use the templates.

I'm sorry, I can't seem to follow. When you say template, do you mean the one the OP chooses for comic layout? If so, how does it affect the seamless toggle? I mean, is it possible for the view of the continuous page independent/separate from the layout? (i'm sorry i'm not a master in coding or for that specific system, just a master of speculation perhaps haha).
"To each one's own."
IVA_12

Postby eishiya » June 3rd, 2018, 10:45 am

IVA_12 wrote:
eishiya wrote:Seamlessness would depend on the template one uses, so I don't think there needs to be a toggle for this, except for perhaps the mobile reader, which doesn't use the templates.

I'm sorry, I can't seem to follow. When you say template, do you mean the one the OP chooses for comic layout? If so, how does it affect the seamless toggle? I mean, is it possible for the view of the continuous page independent/separate from the layout? (i'm sorry i'm not a master in coding or for that specific system, just a master of speculation perhaps haha).

I mean the layouts, yes. The SJ term for those is "templates", since they're templates for the comic site, into which the comic's data (title, pages, comments, etc) are inserted. The template determines the presentation of everything on the comic site (unless it's viewed using the mobile reader, of course), and that would include the whole-chapter pages too.

The designer of the template can choose to put spaces between pages or not, or to even position the pages side by side for some awful horizontally-scrolling monstrosity. It's quite flexible :D Fortunately, it's usually pretty easy to change whether a bunch of images have spaces between them or not, so even if you want to use a non-seamless layout, you would be able to tweak it to make your pages seamless without too much trouble (the Template Development & Support forum here would be happy to help, I'm sure).

The whole-chapter view would just be another page on the site, its appearance would be determined by its own piece of the template. The only exception to this, as with everything, would be viewing it in the mobile reader, which ignores the templates entirely and presents everything in a uniform way. Since it's uniform, you have no control over the presentation of your comic, which is why a seamless toggle would be important for a whole-chapter view in the mobile reader.
eishiya

Postby AltCat » June 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm

IVA_12 wrote:Why can't Smackjeeves upload a comic "webtoon style"?

I mean, I get why admins would reinforce comic dimensions if you're gonna upload the image itself. But I can't understand why admins would limit comic dimensions if you're only going to use the image link.
https://img00.deviantart.net/f872/i/201 ... cd1kgq.jpg

I guess it's just an upload from another source, not a remote hosting thing.
AltCat

Postby eishiya » June 3rd, 2018, 8:07 pm

AltCat wrote:I guess it's just an upload from another source, not a remote hosting thing.

Correct. It used to be remote hosting, but was changed. If I recall correctly, that was partly because people were abusing it to post ridiculously large images, and partly because a lot of people used Photobucket and then those images suddenly broke all at once, and I guess Admin wanted to prevent that happening again.

Edit: When it was remote hosting, SJ still put a limit on the size though. This was for the readers' benefit. Very large images use up a lot of bandwidth and RAM, two things in finite supply. Some browsers can't even display images that large.
eishiya

Return to New Questions