Is payment optional?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

Is payment optional?

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » February 9th, 2019, 5:15 am

my account is a secret in real life.
After being on this site for weeks I found a thread that somone mentioned payments and stuff and from what I understand
You can pay people to work on comics and donations
Or people can pay yourself...

Is it fine if I continue having account if I don't do payments or accept payments?
Also is even having an account free!?
Or is it like YouTube but with comics? (I do not have an YouTube account)
What do I do if I accidentally "donate" "accept payment" or "say I will pay someone"
I thought about quitting this site when I first saw things about paying and being paired and donations
Pidgeot Slayer

Re: Is payment optional?

Postby mitchellbravo » February 9th, 2019, 9:39 am

Quick answer- Correct, payment is optional.

You may be confusing a few different topics, so let me break down some different ideas about "payment" you might be seeing on SJ:

• Some people have Patreon accounts, or other donation links that allow readers to voluntarily donate. Some may offer rewards to donors or offer bonus art when donations reach a certain level. The vast, vast majority of comic artists (especially artists here) do not make a living off their donations they receive. Unless you have a paypal account or an existing patreon account, it would be hard to "accidentally" donate to someone if you didn't intend to do so. You would basically need a bank account already linked up with the payment in some way, so as long as you don't have that, you don't need to worry about accidentally sending someone money.
  • Some people are looking for artists or writers with the intention of paying them (which you may see in the creative collaboration forums here). This does not apply to you, unless you are seeking someone to draw or write your story for you. (Some people of course just want someone to do the work for free and promise to split any proceeds once they "make it big," which happens even less often than you'd think it does).
  • SJ offers a basic free subscription model for comic creators. You can then upgrade your account to a donator or premium account by paying an annual fee. Upgrading your account gives you access to other features that aren't required, but are nice to have depending on your goals as a creator. You can also get by perfectly well on the free subscription that you already have.

I hope I have cleared up some confusion.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Re: Is payment optional?

Postby eishiya » February 9th, 2019, 9:45 am

Edit: Mitchell posted while I was typing and explained everything already, so I'll just post the last bit of my post:

Even if you somehow click on the Checkout button in SJ's Premium tab (the page where you can buy an upgrade for a comic), or click someone's Ko-Fi/Patreon links, or if someone posts a payment link for their services, there would be additional steps to confirm the payment. Even if you have a PayPal account with "One Touch" enabled (a setting that allows you to bypass logging in), there are still confirmation screens and you can still easily cancel the payment.

Of course, you should always read before you click anything. Don't click links you don't actually want to click, and don't click Agree or Confirm on webpages unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing.
eishiya

Return to New Questions