How can I make text captions for my comic?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

How can I make text captions for my comic?

Postby bobadventures » May 26th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Hi, I have maintained my comic, The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob, over on the ComicGenesis host site since 2006. It appears that ComicGenesis is dying, so I am migrating my comic over here, and am busily uploading the old strips onto SmackJeeves.

A regular feature of ComicGenesis was that you could upload a .txt file to put a caption underneath (or above, if you liked) an installment of your comic. After 13 years, I have a lot of captions. Is there any way to do this on SmackJeeves, or will I have to convert all those captions into graphics?
bobadventures

Re: How can I make text captions for my comic?

Postby eishiya » May 26th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I don't think you can upload them, but you could put them into the alt text or into your author comments, depending on what they're for. You definitely don't need to make them into graphics.
eishiya

Postby bobadventures » May 26th, 2019, 8:59 pm

eishiya wrote:I don't think you can upload them, but you could put them into the alt text or into your author comments, depending on what they're for. You definitely don't need to make them into graphics.

Thank you! Well, "author comments" sound like what I want. Um... how do I input them? I see the block for alt text, but nothing that says "author comment."

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm new.
bobadventures

Postby mitchellbravo » May 26th, 2019, 9:36 pm

bobadventures wrote:
eishiya wrote:I don't think you can upload them, but you could put them into the alt text or into your author comments, depending on what they're for. You definitely don't need to make them into graphics.

Thank you! Well, "author comments" sound like what I want. Um... how do I input them? I see the block for alt text, but nothing that says "author comment."

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm new.

You should see this as you scroll down further on the "add page" page, below where you upload the image. It should be the last box on the "add page" page before the submit button.

You can also, depending on the template, add an author comment on your comic itself by going to the page and leaving your comment the same way a reader would (and do this logged in/check "make this author comment" so it is clearly intended as the caption)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby bobadventures » May 27th, 2019, 3:28 am

Thank you! And mitchellbravo, congratulations on your successful migration to the new site! Nice to have a fellow CG alum here!
bobadventures

Postby mitchellbravo » May 27th, 2019, 9:35 am

bobadventures wrote:Thank you! And mitchellbravo, congratulations on your successful migration to the new site! Nice to have a fellow CG alum here!

Thanks! I've been here many times longer now than I had been exclusively at CG- I'm grateful for the start I got there, but this site is so much more navigable and easier to use (not to mention more active). Good to see ya :) :)
mitchellbravo

Postby bobadventures » May 27th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Okay, I got my first author comment posted. Thanks. Two new questions:

1) How do I upload my Avatar?

2) How can I make an Author Comment appear in a horizontal box across the bottom of the comic (like so-- http://mokepon.smackjeeves.com/comics/458480/prologue/ ) rather than in a little box off to the left side, as it is now (like so-- http://bobadventures.smackjeeves.com/co ... /20190514/ )
bobadventures

Postby mitchellbravo » May 27th, 2019, 4:55 pm

bobadventures wrote:Okay, I got my first author comment posted. Thanks. Two new questions:

1) How do I upload my Avatar?

2) How can I make an Author Comment appear in a horizontal box across the bottom of the comic (like so-- http://mokepon.smackjeeves.com/comics/458480/prologue/ ) rather than in a little box off to the left side, as it is now (like so-- http://bobadventures.smackjeeves.com/co ... /20190514/ )

For 1, you have to do that through the main site. Click on the circle on the top right that's probably your placeholder av now, then click My Account, and toward the bottom you'll have space to upload an avatar. Make sure you click submit after you upload it.

For #2, you can try switching to another default template by fiddling with the comic management part of the site, or you can go in to edit your code directly. (Page Desing/Appearance under Manage Webcomic). If you like your template and just want to change the comment part, you'll have to locate the parts of the code that apply to comments, and probably remove the divs. I'd recommend first copy-pasting what you have in the template to a text doc in case you try it out one way and it goes haywire, though.
mitchellbravo

Return to New Questions