"save my place Botton" or "tag this".

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

"save my place Botton" or "tag this".

Postby Tanako » June 9th, 2019, 6:14 pm

I use to have this small "save my place" or "tag this" small button on my website and now I don't have it anymore and I need the code. does anyone have this and if you do please I really need it. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping someone has it.
and oh, I don't mean the SJ one. this one is smaller and long and it says "tag this".
Tanako

Re: "save my place Botton" or "tag this".

Postby eishiya » June 9th, 2019, 6:33 pm

The "save my place" button is the SJ one, it's something you can enable in the comic profile if your Comic Page template uses {comic_image.FORMATTED} to display the image.

There are also the StumbleUpon, Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook buttons you can add to your Comic Page template with {SHARE_THIS_COMIC}, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

There are no other standard features that sound anything like what you're describing, so if you had something else, it must've been some custom code you got from someone. What exactly did "tag this" do? Perhaps with more details, I could help you find or recreate the code.

The correct place for this would be in the Help Desk (New Questions subforum) or the Template Development & Support forum, depending on whether what you're looking for is a template feature or custom template code (Templates forum) or something else (Help Desk). I can move this thread for you, just tell me where you'd prefer it :D

Edit: Looking back on some old thread, it sounds like you could be talking about a feature of some of the old layouts that was removed when the current Save My Place buttons were added? If that's the case, you can replicate the feature by grabbing the code from the "Save my place" buttons and putting it manually wherever you want it, styled however you want. The default one is provided only as a convenience. You can either include the default ones like this and then completely override their styling:
Code: Select all
{BOOKMARK_WIDGET}

or you can go to the JS file used by that code (http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/de ... okmark2.js) and make a version of it that outputs what you need. I recommend the style overrides instead, even though they require some CSS cleverness, as it'll make sure the buttons stay current/compatible as the code is updated, and it prevents the user from having to download the entire code anew every time they view a page, they just download the jsbookmark2.js file once.

Edit 2: Yet another option is to include that code, but only use it as a library. Include it somewhere where its output (the default buttons) would be hidden, e.g.
<div style="display:none;">{BOOKMARK_WIDGET}</div>

and then create your own buttons that call the same functions called by the default ones. You could do this with a short bit of JavaScript borrowed from the original code, or have all the buttons available all the time, the way I think the old code had it.
Last edited by eishiya on June 9th, 2019, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to use the {BOOKMARK_WIDGET} template variable instead of raw code.
eishiya

Postby Tanako » June 9th, 2019, 6:39 pm

thats the code I'm referring to. at some point in time it was pretty popular here.
I do know about the other ones available here in SJ but I also believe that this one is also a SJ bookmark. do you have a code to that?
and I just checked the help desk, I can't seem to post a topic because the button isn't there.
Thank you for reply, I really appreciate it.
Tanako

Postby eishiya » June 9th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I edited my post above, I figured out what you meant just before you posted. I don't have that code and I'm not even sure how entirely it worked (i.e. whether it was SJ-side or a 3rd party thing or what) because I wasn't that into SJ templates back then, but you should be able to reproduce (or even improve) the appearance of those buttons using the modern code.

To post in the Help Desk, you'd have to go the New Questions subforum, perhaps you neglected to do that. I'll move this thread there. Even though this mostly concerns custom template coding at this point, it does deal with an old feature of SJ.

Edit: I should mention, I recommended to Admin a while back that the current code be replaced by one that outputs actual buttons with text instead of images, for easier styling. He planned to implement this I believe, but then the whole NHN acquisition happened and I'm not sure they know that this suggestion is requested. Maybe we should make a site suggestion thread for it?
eishiya

Postby Tanako » June 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm

thank you so much. that helped also. another question, how do I customize it? so I have to just save to repost this
 "http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/jsbookmark.js"

then change this part of it>
Config Settings
*/
var cl = 3650;
var imgTag = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/1.gif';      //add tag image.
var imgClearOff = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/3a.gif';   //no comic tagged, clear not possible
var imgGotoOff = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/2a.gif';   //no comic tagged, goto not possible
var imgClearOn = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/3.gif';   //clear a tag, shows when comic previously tagged
var imgGotoOn = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/2.gif';   //shows when a comic is tagged 
var imgInfo = 'http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/4.gif';     //img that displays the help
var comicDir = '/';       //alter this if you run multiple comics in differnt directorys on your site.

but mostly create a new image, like for example, change this line?
http://www.smackjeeves.com/templates/default/images/3a.gif'

will that be another way if change the image?
Tanako

Postby eishiya » June 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

If you want to recreate the entire code (which was what I recommended NOT doing above) or want to make sure you can have different "Save" and "Saved here" images*, then yes, that's how to do it. Alternatively, you can override the buttons with CSS and avoid replicating the giant code.

Remove all the default images:
#jsbm_saveBtnImg, #jsbm_continue_button img {
display: none;
}

Override them with your own images:
#jsbm_continue_button {
background-image: url('URL of your custom continue image here');
width: width of your custom image;
height: height of your custom image;
}
#jsbm_save_button {
background-image: url('URL of your custom save image here');
width: width of your custom image;
height: height of your custom image;
}

These CSS overrides can go either in your Overall Layout's CSS section, or in their own <style> element right near you'd include the code to include the standard buttons.

The fading of invalid buttons is done automatically so you don't have to worry about it :D
The width and height are important to include, they make sure the button has the right size. Otherwise, it might be invisible or otherwise sized incorrectly.

* I'd personally rather give up having separate images for "Save" (no bookmark on the current page) and "Saved" (bookmarked on the current page) for the sake of fast, tidy code xP

It is also possible to replace these images with text instead of images, but it would take a little more CSS trickery. If that's something you want, I can give it a shot. If you're happy using images, then use images, since it's easy to replace them.
eishiya

Postby Admin » June 9th, 2019, 10:08 pm

I think you can just use
{BOOKMARK_WIDGET}
if you want an easy-mode version of the bookmark widget. Here's the original news post: http://www.smackjeeves.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=18357
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tanako » June 12th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Thank you guys so much. this helped a lot. I will keep this im mind.
and no, I never planned on re-writing the code. :D I can't even if I wanted to hahaha! I'm not good with codes anyway.
well thank you!
Tanako

Return to New Questions