Q&A for Comic / Uploading multiple files to one page

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

Q&A for Comic / Uploading multiple files to one page

Postby starfishey » June 12th, 2019, 2:41 am

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if it was going to be or is currently possible to upload more than one file to a page?
For example:
My partner and I are running a Q&A for our comic and would like to post a couple answers per page. I cross post our comic to a couple different sites and all of them let me upload multiple pages per update, meaning the reader just has to scroll down to see the Q&A bits. The only way this seems possible on SJ is by making the page itself one long image.

This seems a little cumbersome to me and I was wondering if I'm just missing something maybe? Uploading multiple files to a page seems like it would be especially beneficial to creators that have extra tags they want to add on before or after an update such as: trigger warnings, reading directions, double page spreads, banners for promos they're running, patreons/ko-fis/kickstarters, etc. There are a lot of possibilities to have more than one image per update!

Since this currently doesn't seem to be a feature however I'd like to go back to my initial reason for posting and ask if you run a Q&A throughout a chapter how do you organize it?
Currently I'm thinking about just posting the updates as different pages and then making a new Q&A chapter to group everything in down the line. This seems like it'd get really messy really fast though so I'm really looking for suggestions!!
Last edited by starfishey on June 19th, 2019, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
starfishey

Re: Q&A for Comic / Uploading multiple files to one page

Postby eishiya » June 12th, 2019, 9:17 am

Please do not link your comic here, you should use the Self-Promotion forum or your signature to link to your work. Anywhere else, unsolicited links are considered spam.

This is not a feature because SJ is designed for page-based comics, whereas Tapas and LWT are designed from the ground up for long-scroll comics. I would not be surprised if SJ expanded to support multiple files per comic in the future though, it would only be a benefit, and it would not hurt the ability to post single-page updates any.

That said, your idea to include promos as extra images leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's something that should be done via your template or in your author comment, not forced into the page flow. As a bonus, as part of your template or author comments, those images can be made to link wherever you want :D

As for Q&As, I personally prefer them as chapter breaks, either a single long page or a bunch of shorter ones at the end of a chapter. Questions tend to be relevant up to that part of the story anyway, so it seems like a natural place, and it doubles as a nice breather between chapters when binge-reading. If you don't want the Q&As interrupting the story in any way, then a custom page is the way to go. You can easily arrange your multiple images as a single long-scrolling thing on a custom page, or you can even have the Q&A as text for easier reading/resizing.
eishiya

Postby starfishey » June 19th, 2019, 1:10 am

Thanks for responding (I edited out the link to the comic, thank you for letting me know)

As for the response to the suggestion I'd humbly disagree. Whether or not it leaves a bad taste to an individual should not delegate how one author or another chooses to promote their content. If an author truly wanted to do this right now they could by just adding in to the bottom of their page. I was just suggesting, or rather asking, if SJ planned on implementing something to support an easier way to accomplish this. That being said adding in permanent banners to the templates is a much more logical thing to do! When I mentioned that I was more thinking about temporary events. I haven't been posting my comic very long but we have run promo events that had fun little banners for halloween (not selling anything, just promoting a free wallpaper), or even one to inquire about Q&A. I know that some of these things can be done in other sections but when you keep a reader in mind, or at least most readers, a lot of them will not go to bonus pages, or news pages to see updates; they only want to read page updates. That's why I personally prefer to have an ability to reach that type of reader.

In response to the Q&A thing, my partner and I discussed doing the Q&A as a chapter break and decided we liked the idea of sprinkling the Q&A throughout the pages as we continue to post in order to make it more digestible. As a reader myself, I find myself losing interest in Q&As that are long winded or have more than 5 questions to a post. Having one or two questions, to me, is a lot easier to read. I'd also rather continue the story than having one or two weeks dedicated to Q&A, but that's just for my comic, I totally understand and respect other comics taking a break for a week or two! We wanted to try something different and all the other places we cross-post to allow this easily.

For now, I think our solution is going to be to post the Q&As to our news section until we have time to figure out making a separate page entirely. Do people get updates when a custom page is uploaded or updated? That would be the downside to that, but I do like the idea of having a dedicated space for people to go to see it! There's also something to be said when considering people that follow a comic week by week or a new reader that is binge reading the entire comic. While the people the read weekly might enjoy seeing bonus content after a page, to a new reader powering through this would be an awkward break in the flow so that is something I'll have to think about a solution to. Thank you for responding and I'll keep everything you said in mind! 8)
starfishey

Postby eishiya » June 19th, 2019, 8:18 am

Anyone's free to use such a feature as they like, but I think it's good to keep in mind how any given use might be received by the audience. That I happen to think one particular use case isn't great is not a mark against the feature.

You can edit your template whenever you'd like, so it's easy to have a temporary banner. Moreover, when the temporary event is over, you can simply remove the banner in one place (the template) and not have to worry about removing it from multiple comic pages or about having back-readers get confused about the event or have it distract them for no benefit.

The one downside to using a banner in your template is it won't show up for people reading your comic via the mobile reader (if you have that enabled). This can be a pretty big downside if you expect most of your readers to be on mobile and use the reader. The mobile reader is currently very minimal in general though and readers would have no practical way to act upon anything they see in a banner attached to the page. (And at the time of this writing, the mobile reader doesn't seem to work on my phone at all, so I can't even check whether author comments, custom pages, and news are accessible. IIRC comments are accessible via additional taps, but custom pages are not) If you plan to have events that you'd like to provide information on, then I think having a mobile-friendly template and using template or author comment banners would be the way to go, so that you get the benefit of clickable banners/easy access to information.

There are no notifications when custom pages are updated, and they also don't have their own comments feature (though you could add one via a third-party service such as Disqus). People announce updates to them in their author comments on new pages or in news updates. Perhaps in your case, you could post each new Q&A as a news post, but also keep a custom page with all of them in one place (either as images or as links to the news posts) so they don't have to go through the news archive themselves looking just for one specific type of post.
eishiya

Return to New Questions