All of My Comics Related Comics Videogame Flash Comics?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

All of My Comics Related Comics Videogame Flash Comics?

Postby Supahsnail » June 26th, 2019, 12:25 pm

I've wondered this for over four years now, but I'm finally going to ask it to see if there's some way I can resolve it. Why is every single comic in the related section to my comic a flash comic about video games? My comic isn't about video games, nor is it flash, so I don't see a logical reason for this. I realize that there are only a tiny handful of photogenic comics on this site, so there won't be any truly "related" comics connected to mine, but it would be nice for them to at least be other genre parody webcomics, and with a variety of styles at the very least. I'm assuming that because videogame flash comics are showing up in the related section of my page, that means that my comic is showing up as related to videogame flash comics, but that doesn't seem right. Is there anything about my comics tagging or description that I can do to make the suggested comics more appropriate?
Supahsnail

Re: All of My Comics Related Comics Videogame Flash Comics?

Postby Ulta » June 26th, 2019, 2:42 pm

I don't know much about the SmackJeeves algorithm to truly know the answer myself, but I will say that this is sorta the same with myself as well. I got a lot of Pokemon-related comics in my 'related', and my comic has zero pokemon stuff at all in it (I don't have pokemon in the tags either, though I guess some can argue some creature designs I've done are very pokemon-esque?).

It maybe factors in what you've favorite-ed? Because I've fav'ed quite a few Pokemon comics here. I don't really think the tags you use for your comic has any say in what gets put into your related. I actually suspect it's got more ot do with what you've favorite'ed. Maybe SJ thinks that anything you fav is similar in taste to what you create yourself.

Either way, it wouldn't hurt for you to max out the tags you can use for your comic =) Look up which tags are the most popular (you'll see it if you do a random search and scroll down it'll show 'popular tags') and whichever ones attribute to your comic, add them and see if your related section changes.
Ulta

Postby eishiya » June 26th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Similars are based entirely on the favourites of your comic's fans. If only a few SJ members have favourited your comics, your Similars will skew heavily towards their preferences.
eishiya

Postby Supahsnail » June 26th, 2019, 9:24 pm

eishiya wrote:Similars are based entirely on the favourites of your comic's fans. If only a few SJ members have favourited your comics, your Similars will skew heavily towards their preferences.

I suppose that tears it then. I only get one fan every four months basically, so I guess all of those people are fans of flash comics? The only real cure to that would be to get more fans, but I don't know how to advertise or promote. if it hasn't happened in five years, it wont happen now.
Supahsnail

Postby Ulta » June 26th, 2019, 10:12 pm

eishiya wrote:Similars are based entirely on the favourites of your comic's fans. If only a few SJ members have favourited your comics, your Similars will skew heavily towards their preferences.

Good gosh that explains a ton. I guess I've attracted a lot of pokemon fans XD Good to know!
Ulta

Return to New Questions