About making money off of fandoms?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

About making money off of fandoms?

Postby Reiz16 » October 14th, 2019, 10:52 pm

My friend told me I can make money off of fandoms and I was wondering if I could do it on here.
Reiz16

Re: About making money off of fandoms?

Postby Reiz16 » October 14th, 2019, 11:38 pm

NOW I'm getting told I CAN'T make money off of fandoms.

Who do I believe?
Reiz16

Re: About making money off of fandoms?

Postby eishiya » October 15th, 2019, 8:11 am

You can't really "make money off fandoms" here since SJ is not a site to sell stuff, it's just a comic host. You can host your fan comics here, but there are no tools here to directly monetise them, that has to be done via other services (ads, Patreon, etc), which have varying rules. If you mean selling fandom stuff in online stores and at cons... it's complicated.

Legally, it's a grey area where fanart and fancomics are concerned, since they're based on the original work but do not directly use parts of it. I don't think this has been brought up in court yet, so there's no legal test for fanart legality like there is for many other things. In general, it's understood that the owner of the original can shut you down and no one's tried challenging it in court, because it's cheaper to just stop selling fanart of their works.

Disney and certain individual creators have been known to be particularly anti-fanart, which is why you rarely see fanart of their works at conventions. Sometimes this can lead to weird rules like Kingdom Hearts fanart being alright to sell because Square Enix don't go after fanart sellers, but not if it has keyblades, because keyblades are Disney's and Disney does go after fanart sellers.

In addition, selling fanart at cons and other in-person methods is much easier than selling it online via e.g. Etsy, because online platforms tend to be stricter about IP (intellectual property) than the actual IP holders, and will take down fanart if it's reported to them, even if the IP holder doesn't mind.

With all this in mind, if you want to make money from fandoms:
- Focus on doing so at conventions rather than online. It'll be easier to find an audience and you'll avoid the cat-and-mouse game of dodging platform holders.
- Pay attention to the convention scene even if you don't go to them, look out for news about fanart C&Ds and lawsuit threats, so you know which companies' work to avoid selling fanart of, ask around about troublesome companies.
- Avoid any type of merch that's similar to official products, e.g. prints that are similar to official ones, toys resembling official ones, etc. Stick to product types that don't have official analogues, as companies don't tend to mind those as much.

Alternatively, don't sell the fanwork itself, and instead use it to build up your audience and get money from them in ways not directly connected to the fanart, such as Ko-Fi, Patreon, and original art sales. Even successful fanart sellers often take this route with their online money-making, since selling fanart online is such a hassle, but it's also common for those that never sell fanart at all.
eishiya

Return to New Questions