The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby Seven Rain » July 25th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Y'know I just remembered something to chuck under the "What do you hate the most about it?" even though it's something that can be said about 90% of JRPGs...
FUCKING MISS-ABLE ITEMS/EVENTS/QUESTS/CHARACTERS/MONSTERS, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I have, like, JRPG OCD. When I play a JRPG and can't 100% it I want to break shit. ALL. DAY. JUST BREAK SHIT.
This is why I don't even want to go back to Radiata Stories despite loving it to death. The game forces you to choose a side close to the end of the game, and both sides contain content and events and locations unavailable to the other. THERE IS NO WAY TO 100% RADIATA STORIES AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE.

It kills my motivation to play amazing JRPGs because I feel like I have to open a FAQ + Miss-ables list + Wiki + etc. just to sit down and play it comfortably.

But again, this can be said about almost any JRPG in existence, but it's one of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten around to playing more FFVII or FFVI.
Seven Rain

Postby blankd » July 25th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Y'know I just remembered something to chuck under the "What do you hate the most about it?" even though it's something that can be said about 90% of JRPGs...
FUCKING MISS-ABLE ITEMS/EVENTS/QUESTS/CHARACTERS/MONSTERS, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I have, like, JRPG OCD. When I play a JRPG and can't 100% it I want to break shit. ALL. DAY. JUST BREAK SHIT.
This is why I don't even want to go back to Radiata Stories despite loving it to death. The game forces you to choose a side close to the end of the game, and both sides contain content and events and locations unavailable to the other. THERE IS NO WAY TO 100% RADIATA STORIES AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE.

It kills my motivation to play amazing JRPGs because I feel like I have to open a FAQ + Miss-ables list + Wiki + etc. just to sit down and play it comfortably.

But again, this can be said about almost any JRPG in existence, but it's one of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten around to playing more FFVII or FFVI.

/cough SMT games don't do this, hell they ALL have a New Game+ feature so you can ALWAYS 100% *that* file. There are other games that do this, but just saying, New Game+ really should be more popular on JRPGs.

That "point of no return" really never bugged me except for FF8, it just FLEW out of nowhere! I really appreciated it in FF12 when they made a point of telling you "HEY BRO NO RETURN!" or "gee this might be a choke point..." (According to tales of those who played FFX-2, it has the WORST 100% completion taunting! D8)
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby KonaTobennh » July 25th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Anyway, anyone try Final Fantasy Revenant Wings? I'm trying to play through it again, since I didn't really understand the story. I mean, first I was like, "Oh okay. This girl is evil so she's gonna have some kind of relationship with the final boss." Then I was like, "Ok, so she's avenging her people or something." Then she dies, and I'm still playing the game, and then, I'm out to kill Jesus.

Is there a reason why I had to kill Jesus?!?
KonaTobennh

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 25th, 2011, 9:06 pm

KonaTobennh wrote:Anyway, anyone try Final Fantasy Revenant Wings? I'm trying to play through it again, since I didn't really understand the story. I mean, first I was like, "Oh okay. This girl is evil so she's gonna have some kind of relationship with the final boss." Then I was like, "Ok, so she's avenging her people or something." Then she dies, and I'm still playing the game, and then, I'm out to kill Jesus.

Cuz he was being a dick?
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Seven Rain » July 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm

blankd wrote:New Game+ really should be more popular on JRPGs.

YES IT SHOOOOOULD!
Seven Rain

Postby KonaTobennh » July 27th, 2011, 4:34 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:I played Revenant Wings once. I stopped after about 2 or 3 hours in.

I was forced to finish it. Without breaks, it probably took me 72 hours to finish. There's like 12 chapters in it, and GOD.
KonaTobennh

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2011, 11:05 pm

KonaTobennh wrote:Image

He wasn't wearing enough belts.

Seven Rain wrote:Y'know I just remembered something to chuck under the "What do you hate the most about it?" even though it's something that can be said about 90% of JRPGs...
FUCKING MISS-ABLE ITEMS/EVENTS/QUESTS/CHARACTERS/MONSTERS

To be fair...I don't think FFVII has all that many "miss-ables" (I like this word, ha) outside a few ultimate weapons (Cait Sith's, Vincent's, and Barret's). You can even go get the "secret" (yeah not really if they're in the game manual) characters in disk 3, though I'm not really sure why you'd want to then. Especially since if you get Vincent that late you can't get his ultimate weapon, but rambling... XD

Everything else is just either a lot of backtracking or takes a shit ton of time to accomplish. I've been playing my friend Brandy's save (no real reason, just doing so) and got her Tifa's final limit break, Yuffie's ultimate weapon, Alexander, and Red XIII's ultimate weapon. This took me five hours (most of it was due to running in snow you can freaking pass out in, but whatever).

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Molly-sama wrote:To be fair...I don't think FFVII has all that many "miss-ables"

Maybe not many, but the stuff you can miss is pretty big. Like aforementioned Ultimates, and Huge Materia. :C
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:To be fair...I don't think FFVII has all that many "miss-ables"

Maybe not many, but the stuff you can miss is pretty big. Like aforementioned Ultimates, and Huge Materia. :C

You can miss the Huge Materia? I thought that one was plot relevant, like Holy. I haven't played that part in forever. XD

Or did you mean the cool stuff you get by going near it again (Neo Bahaumat, right?)...?

But true, it is a bit of a pain...though I think IX kicked all the older games' asses with that one (*coughExcalibur2cough*). XD

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Molly-sama wrote:Or did you mean the cool stuff you get by going near it again (Neo Bahaumat, right?)...?

Yeah, if I recall there are 4 Huge Materia to get if you're trying to unlock everything.

Molly-sama wrote:(*coughExcalibur2cough*)

That... Fucking... Sword...

I'd actually try to get it too if it weren't for the fact that you have to miss other stuff in the game to get to it on time. It's the same conundrum Radiata Stories has; There's just no way to 100% it. (Although Radiata is still worse. In FFIX you just gotta sacrifice a sword, but in Radiata the game content basically splits in half. And on top of that all the cool stuff is in the story path I don't like. :C)
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2011, 2:53 am

Oh, right. I forgot about all that. XD Though IX also has a ton of little things you can miss if you don't pick them up (small/fair amounts of gil, cards, etc.), but yeah...I just couldn't get through enough of Radiata Stories to know any of that. XD

In regards to Dissidia:
I'm still wondering how the hell everyone knows each other. I get how they got there, it's just...why isn't anyone from the most fantasy-esque ones flipping out about guns or the characters walking around in friggin' leather? And how come everyone can understand flowery speech?! That actually did disappoint me about the first one...I love it when crossovers have that big "WTF is this?!" moment, and Dissidia had none where there could've been a hilarious one.

Seriously, why is there no scene of Tifa meeting Zidane? That's like, comedy gold, right there. XD lol

Postby Seven Rain » July 30th, 2011, 10:02 am

Molly-sama wrote:Seriously, why is there no scene of Tifa meeting Zidane? That's like, comedy gold, right there. XD lol

That's because it wouldn't have been able to keep a T rating.
Bow-chica-wow-wow.

Spoiler! :
I'm sorry.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » July 30th, 2011, 11:29 am

I've been thinking about the possible FFV and VI remakes that could come to the 3DS.

Do you think the developers should use the chibis for those, or the more realistically proportioned style of the PS1/PS2 games for the in game character models? Or do you think they should use chibis for one (Ive heard FFV is like an expanded FFIII, so chibis would fit the tone of the game) and more realistic proportions for the other? (FFVI, like FFIV, has a darker tone, right? Chibis would undermine the tone)

It would have made sense to give FFIVDS more realistic character models. If the PS1 could handle them in FFVIII and IX, the DS easily could have.
redandblack64

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2011, 2:20 pm

redandblack64 wrote:I've been thinking about the possible FFV and VI remakes that could come to the 3DS.

Do you think the developers should use the chibis for those, or the more realistically proportioned style of the PS1/PS2 games for the in game character models? Or do you think they should use chibis for one (Ive heard FFV is like an expanded FFIII, so chibis would fit the tone of the game) and more realistic proportions for the other? (FFVI, like FFIV, has a darker tone, right? Chibis would undermine the tone)

It would have made sense to give FFIVDS more realistic character models. If the PS1 could handle them in FFVIII and IX, the DS easily could have.

I'd think chibis would be fine for either, since they used chibis in the first place and no one was distracted. That said, VI would be pretty cool for more realistic character models. A lot of it is more for nostalgia for older players, and newer ones generally don't care on the DS.

Also, as a side note, IX was in chibi form, too, just more fully modeled. That was one of the main criticisms of the game at the time, since it came out right after VII and VIII, with many of the fans of just those games, not the older ones, bitching about it being "cutesy." That's why everyone has a giant head. lol XD

Postby Seven Rain » July 30th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I wouldn't mind chibis, but they better not half ass the bosses. I remember watching a video of the Zeromus fight in FFIV DS and thought it looked kinda lame compared to the original version with the sprites.

If they chibi-fy the FFVI cast, the bosses at least better look insane. Though I'm sure Square will make it look amazing, considering how much more powerful the 3DS is than the DS anyway.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games