Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby Bluewyrm » October 21st, 2011, 4:15 pm

I really like realistic/semi-realistic lineart (western/American/whatever) that's only mildly stylised for fantasy/scifi. It makes fantastic elements stick out just that much more...
and plus it's easier to make sense of.
On the storyline side... there needs to be a little humor of some sort, or at least clever stuff going on in the background. Without that, it's like eating sand.
Bluewyrm

Postby C_You » October 22nd, 2011, 10:27 pm

Science fiction combined with political drama here.

I love toying around with questions that are going to have to be answered one day, and giving my own answer. I love the idea of writing about human progress and all the great and horrible things that humans can do. It is so much fun for me to speculate about the future while thinking about the present.
C_You

Postby redandblack64 » October 23rd, 2011, 12:17 pm

I have a soft spot for the action and adventure writing/art styles/genres. I also like the science fiction, fantasy and crime genres a lot more than I've admitted here. I prefer the Japanese approach to storytelling in comics over Western ones, as it's more about "being there than getting there". The pacing is slower but smoother, and has a nice approach to introducing characters and settings when done right.
redandblack64

Postby Guest » October 23rd, 2011, 1:25 pm

I don't even know what my comic qualifies as. It's just kind of there, to me. It has action I guess. And sci-fi parts. And sex without actual romance. But I don't know. It's just...a story, in my eyes.

As a reader I think I gravitate towards serious action/drama/whatever comics. I JUST LIKE SERIOUS THINGS. I really don't care about art style unless it's so bad or distracting that I can't read it.

Postby gevans1961 » October 23rd, 2011, 3:15 pm

I chose to make my comic "slice of life & mystery" genre. When I try writing a story in the fantasy or science fiction story, I usually have this problem of leaving too much in my imagination. I do better at writing stories based on my experience or based on something I've researched instead, of basing it on something I admire or idealize.
gevans1961

Postby Nigz » November 27th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I would never clam mine to be the best because there is so many factors as to what makes something the best
Nigz

Postby Jasty » January 11th, 2012, 11:41 am

Personally I can enjoy most genres of artwork.

But I find it hard to tell anyone what my favorite genre is, it comes down to the artist himself, as more often than not he/she creates his own style of artwork, even if can be catoligized to a genre.

If I were to arrange the 3 catogaories here, it would most likely be like this : Western American, Manga , "sprite".

Much have to do with what I grew up with and even if I enjoyed playing sprite games on old consoles, its not that pretty to look at as the others and it doesent allow the same freedom with angles.
Jasty

Postby Durvin » January 29th, 2012, 12:42 am

My favorite genre is something I don't know a name for; I call it "Awesomeism". It's that increasingly popular thing among people that grew up on toyetic culture where the universe is infested with the old genres--there's ninjas, robots, magic, Dracula (sometimes other vampires too, but always Dracula), and so on. I really think it has to do with our generation having grown up on "action cartoon" as a favorite genre, instead of "Western" or "sci fi", so on any given Saturday morning, we'd watch mutant mammal alien cowboys ("Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa"), robot-killing ninja turtles that sometimes travelled through time, cars and airplanes that turned into giant robots, and whatever the hell was going on with Masters of the Universe--cyborg skeletons, naked guys with magic swords, and an oddly Lovecraft-ish backstory about snake-men from beyond.

Now WHY do I believe this genre is the best? It's fun. I hate melodrama, and I like mashed-up genres. The world is too backed up with tropes these days, and I like seeing them getting, as the website says, averted, subverted, and lampshaded--half the time I can predict right where a plot is going once it's been set up, so I like to see things that can either have fun doing it or play with the notions to create something new.

And now we're the ones leading the entertainment industry. "Dr. McNinja" is probably the most famous example of this genre, although "Axe Cop" is up there too; some of the wackier D&D strips do it as well. I'm on the lookout for others, and if you agree with any of what I just said, then you should probably go ahead and click my banner ad for my own comic.
Durvin

Postby desideraht » January 29th, 2012, 4:44 am

I'm gonna vote for my own genre-- manga.
I think manga has a mature style (when drawn that way, anyway, lol!) that can be very dramatic, serious, and intense. It can also be scary and make awesome horror. Manga has the ability to be really cute or really nasty, or even sophisticated. It's got a very wide range!

As for story genres... sci-fi, thriller, horror, drama, & mystery are my favorites. I like it when it's got a noir feeling, too. I like humorous comics too but I enjoy them most if there is something dark behind it all.
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
desideraht

Postby Ronin356 » May 1st, 2012, 9:46 pm

It pisses off people who want Genre Purity. I'm mixing to genres together.

Killjoy also has two minority characters in important roles.
Be sure to check out my webcomic Killjoy: http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=98151
and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/
Thanks! Obama for 2012.
Ronin356

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2012, 9:22 pm

I like all sorts of genres. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to address the style of comics I like as opposed to what I'm doing, though.

The mean types I read are mostly cartoony-styled, I guess? I kinda lost interest in anime a good long ago. A lot of people can pull it off artistically, and in the some cases, have a good story to back it up. It's one of the reasons why I've always admired Lackadaisy; it's got that An American Tail feel to it, which complements the series.

As far as story genres go: adventure, noir, fantasy. I'm not sure where my comic fits in, though. I'm doing a comic that invokes memories of cartoons from the 80's and 90's, however obscure or not, but without pulling a typical Disney and having my characters sing a song of merry and learn a moral lesson. The genre I'm going for I guess is adventure, with some dramatic presentation; my characters have problems - something that anyone might consider to be taboo unless i wanted to write a bunch of Great Mouse Detective fan-fiction. Rarely do I see a cartoon with cute and cuddly mice involved in realistic situations under actual circumstances; it's more closer to home to see them go through it as a human world without one it being sugarcoated.

Overall, my comic is also meant to be a send-up of cartoons in general. It pays acknowledgement while also parodying it.

I guess my comic is kinda like adventure/dramatic.

Postby MangaKnight » May 8th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I tend to read the kawaii desu moeblob manga stuff occasionally superhero comics. I'm also a fan of comics with extreme sight gags such as Great Teacher Onizuka or comics that idealizes a particular game or sport such as Eyeshield 21. I know that a lot of people might have gripes against the cute moeblob stuff but there are people that look up to things like that. It's no difference than say the joy from viewing a Rococo painting. Sometimes we just need a sugar coated filter of the real world to remind us how good life CAN be but not WILL be. Cliche romantic comedy plots kinda does that for those without a significant other. As for superhero comics, in a chaotic world sometimes we want order in the form of some people in a space tower. LOL. Then finally things like GTO just satisfies your pent up sexual desires and physical desires. Onizuka more or less does the stuff that any other person wish he could do when thrown in those life situations. Think of a life where all lemons convert into lemonade before your eyes. Same goes for things like Eyeshield 21 or Bakuman, you want to see someone strive off towards a dream to give you hope in obtaining your own. There is no such thing as a bad comic in my opinion. If you think a comic is bad, you're the wrong audience at no fault of the comic itself.
MangaKnight

Postby Omegasama » May 19th, 2012, 12:24 pm

JCM wrote:I have no favorites.

This! I like a lot of stuff. Not everyone is into only one thing after all.
My DeviantArt
My Tumblr

Updates Tuesdays & Fridays

Updates every other Sunday.
Omegasama

Postby Lerapishet » June 22nd, 2012, 8:20 am

gLottis wrote:Not all comics even have storylines, some just small punchlines or jokes..completely non contextual to anything. Personally those are my favourites not only as an author but also as reader due to the huge variety you can enjoy and the jokes are normally funnier

I second that! Although I do like comics with elaborate, maybe even twisted and deep storylines, my personal preference as an author is an episodic type of comic - kind of like in a newspaper. And if I ever feel like having a little arc with a clear storyline, I can definitely do it and it will be even more interesting to read since it will stand out :)
"For some reason, whenever I try to remember my past, I can't think of anything but white space." -- Valera the Librarian
Lerapishet

Postby Nohra » June 22nd, 2012, 4:06 pm

I like realistic but not too realistic, I guess there is no genre for that.
Maybe a bit of manga as long as they don't have those alien eyes. :mrgreen:
Nohra

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion