Weight Loss for the Type of People That Use This Forum

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: Weight Loss for the Type of People That Use This Forum

Postby mossi-mo » July 7th, 2012, 9:26 am

I went vegetarian in my sophomore year, and I was vegan for a while. I don't suggest it to anyone who actually likes meat.

What I do suggest is increasing and diversifying your fruit and vegetable intake. Most healthy cultures eat meat sparingly, as a treat every now and then. So the old "but what do you EAT????" question is ridiculous to me. Most vegetables are low calorie and high vitamin, exactly what you need to lose weight and keep nutrients high. The general rules are to be colorful and eat plants that come in all shades. If you don't cook, there are plenty of frozen and pre-packaged meals that manage to have larger varieties of vegetables and better cooking methods. Stay away from just eating starches (Corn, beans, potatoes), and limit the size of your meat portion to a deck of cards.

I am not fond of soda, as I have sensitive teeth, but I do drink a lot of juice. I started cutting my juice with water (at least a 1:1 ratio) which eliminates a lot of calories. Try to drink 100% juice, because added sugar is added calories. If you have a drink that can't be diluted, drink water with it, matching each sip. You'll feel less thirsty faster. This was the hardest rule for me to follow, but after getting used to it, I am unable to drink juice without water. I actually saw the most weight loss from this trick.

Watch your portions and get up to stretch at least every 2 hours while you're working. Stretching helps the blood circulate, and though it doesn't definitively help you lose weight, it will help the blood flow around your brain, where you need it. It doesn't have to be some kind of crazy yoga thing, just the usual, get out of bed stretch, and maybe touch your toes. For exercise, even if I don't do any other sort of workout, I will take my mom's boxer for a 1mile run every day. It's not far but it gets me out of the house during the summer, when I'd rather take another nap. If you don't have that kind of luxury, try doing jumping jack challenges, situps, pushups, crunches, hula hoops, ridiculous youtube dance moves... anything really. Just get your body moving for at least 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. 30 minutes is a long time if you're not used to it, but most commercial breaks run from about 5-10 minutes, so do your workout challenge during that time.

Spoiler! :
By the way, you can do all of this and still not lose weight. Some people just don't have the bodies for it. I eat well and exercise daily, and though I'm not the size I was at the beginning, I'm still very near to it. I can run a 5k while still looking like a couch potato. If I could lose more weight and keep it off, it would be through dangerous methods. Listen to your body, learn the difference between full and stuffed, between being hungry and being bored, and between being tired or being lazy.

The goal should be health, it's a lot better to be a healthy, happy size XL than a sick size S.
mossi-mo

Postby avian-reader » July 7th, 2012, 11:44 am

I do long distance walking, so for practical reasons I've wanted to carry less weight on me for the couple of 26 and 32 milers I do each year. I've managed to lose a nice stone and a half in a couple of months on Slimming World.

I enjoy it because I can stuff my face with free foods and still lose weight. It's great if you're on appitite-increasing meds so don't care what it is you're eating, not so good if you like chocolate or crisps because it's cutting out these that loses the weight.

So yeah, plug over, lol. I'm starting to sound like a bot.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby Loverofpiggies » July 7th, 2012, 11:59 am

I love the assumption that the people of smackjeeves are fat.

You hear that, body!? Your 125 pounds of exercised tone aren't good enough for smackjeeves! MAN UP GIRL.
Loverofpiggies

Postby avian-reader » July 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Loverofpiggies wrote:I love the assumption that the people of smackjeeves are fat.

You hear that, body!? Your 125 pounds of exercised tone aren't good enough for smackjeeves! MAN UP GIRL.

Isn't our tubbiness the reason you come here, Loverofpiggies?
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby mossi-mo » July 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Loverofpiggies wrote:I love the assumption that the people of smackjeeves are fat.

I've got a sink full of cookies already crumbled into ice cream and drizzled with sauce. You just bring your shovel. We'll get you to standard.
mossi-mo

Postby SoupCandy » July 10th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Uh.

Some people, no matter what, cannot deviate from their natural build.

That includes my inability to build muscle. I'm naturally trim and toned, but can't get any more muscular without going nuts.

My personal tips:

Never go on any fad diet.
Reduce intake of known carcinogens.
Reduce intake of artificial coloring and flavors.
Cook at least five times a week.
Eat junk food, but minimize it.
Eat fruits and veggies every day.
Eat carbs every day, unless you're diabetic and have stringent dietary rules.
Drink tea at least once a week.
If you can metabolize it, drink alcohol no more than once every two to three weeks.
Exercise two days a week for forty minutes each time.

Eat chocolate, foods with lots of vinegar, garlic, Ceylon cinnamon, and turmeric. (But never be crazy enough to try and mix them all; it won't be very tasty.)

I'm actually 4'11" and 108 lbs and toned.
/threadkiller
SoupCandy

Previous

Return to Life Issues