Mastering comics and moe girls

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Mastering comics and moe girls

Postby Twinkiesama » July 9th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Just a random illustration. This is not one of my characters in particular.
Last edited by Twinkiesama on September 26th, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Re: Random illustration

Postby Rah Rah Romama » July 19th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Wow, that's a lotta bold color lol! Almost hurts my eyes. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing.
Rah Rah Romama

Postby Twinkiesama » July 21st, 2012, 2:08 pm

Wow, that's a lotta bold color lol! Almost hurts my eyes. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I admit my color choices can be quite bold, even brash or cloying at times. That is probably because I like bright colors. ;) Personally, I need to work on my digital color illustrations more, regardless.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby TH3GADFLY » July 22nd, 2012, 7:20 pm

Hmm, I'm not too thrill ed at the anatomy here, but that colour pallet makes me envious!
TH3GADFLY

Postby Twinkiesama » July 24th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Hmm, I'm not too thrill ed at the anatomy here, but that colour pallet makes me envious!

I would have to agree with you on the anatomy. I could not get the hand just right and her bust-line looks a bit off to me. Poor girl. :(
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby TH3GADFLY » July 25th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Twinkiesama wrote:I would have to agree with you on the anatomy. I could not get the hand just right and her bust-line looks a bit off to me. Poor girl. :(

You should try drawing your own hand more often, it's good practice.
As for proportion, I know its stupid, but I generally make the hand as big as I think the characters heart is(organ kind). Cause of that old science fact.
TH3GADFLY

Postby Twinkiesama » July 27th, 2012, 1:42 pm

As for proportion, I know its stupid, but I generally make the hand as big as I think the characters heart is(organ kind). Cause of that old science fact.

That makes sense. I should try working on basic drawing skills from now on. I been studying inking and toning techniques from professional manga and comics, so that aspect of my artwork has improved.
It is just difficult because I do not have a nude model available twenty-four seven. :) If anyone knows any free sites I can look at for figure drawing, that would help.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Amam » July 28th, 2012, 3:57 am

Twinkiesama wrote:

That makes sense. I should try working on basic drawing skills from now on. I been studying inking and toning techniques from professional manga and comics, so that aspect of my artwork has improved.
It is just difficult because I do not have a nude model available twenty-four seven. :) If anyone knows any free sites I can look at for figure drawing, that would help.

There's plenty of resources available in this thread :)
Illustrated Diary
My tumblr
Amam

Postby Twinkiesama » July 31st, 2012, 11:35 pm

There's plenty of resources available in this thread

Thanks. :)
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » August 2nd, 2012, 5:25 pm

You can see this already, since it is now my profile image. She was from a short story I finished months back. I plan on doing a continuation of it someday. Image
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby CPD » August 3rd, 2012, 11:28 am

I really like the clothing on her, but the anatomy is a bit off. Her head is a little to big for her body, that's the main problem. Love the colors too. The simplicity makes it work.
CPD

Postby Twinkiesama » August 3rd, 2012, 2:09 pm

I really like the clothing on her, but the anatomy is a bit off. Her head is a little to big for her body, that's the main problem. Love the colors too. The simplicity makes it work.

I try to keep the torso on my adult female characters roughly two heads tall, while the legs are three heads tall. Although that may be short by manga standards according to some, that is how I prefer to draw them.
I'm glad you liked the colors, though. :)
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby eishiya » August 3rd, 2012, 2:24 pm

It's great that you're stylizing your characters in a consistent manner, but I think it looks off to people because you don't have the underlying foundations to support the stylization. As a result, it looks unintentional ):

One thing you should consider is the width/thickness of your characters, not just the height. If your characters have slightly wider shoulders and hips, then the head will look proportional to those instead of looking too big for the body. Humans have a certain intuition for balance/proportions, so you can't just resize parts of the body independently of everything else without messing with that perception. Unfortunately, as artists we often get used to our own stylization, and it can become difficult for us to notice this sort of unbalance even though it gnaws on everybody else.

Edit: Also, 6 heads tall isn't just short by manga standards, it's short by real-life standards too. Humans have 6-heads-tall proportions roughly around the age of 7, as adults they're usually between 7 (short-ish) and 8 (tall) heads tall. By comparison, manga/anime characters are often upwards of 8 heads tall, and some are extremes (ex. in Bleach, characters are upwards of 10 heads tall).
If you're going to go for 6-heads-tall proportions, check out the proportions on children of that age. After all, children do look proportional to us, despite not having the same proportions as adults. If you're worried that doing so will make your characters look like kids, then there are two major things you cna do to avoid that:
1. Use adult facial proportions (children have smaller faces and larger eyes compared to the head than adults)
2. Give your characters more defined body features such as hips, pecs, fingers, etc. Children are often softer and have stubbier fingers/limbs due to all the baby fat.
eishiya

Postby Twinkiesama » August 4th, 2012, 5:41 pm

It's great that you're stylizing your characters in a consistent manner, but I think it looks off to people because you don't have the underlying foundations to support the stylization. As a result, it looks unintentional ):

One thing you should consider is the width/thickness of your characters, not just the height. If your characters have slightly wider shoulders and hips, then the head will look proportional to those instead of looking too big for the body. Humans have a certain intuition for balance/proportions, so you can't just resize parts of the body independently of everything else without messing with that perception. Unfortunately, as artists we often get used to our own stylization, and it can become difficult for us to notice this sort of unbalance even though it gnaws on everybody else.

Edit: Also, 6 heads tall isn't just short by manga standards, it's short by real-life standards too. Humans have 6-heads-tall proportions roughly around the age of 7, as adults they're usually between 7 (short-ish) and 8 (tall) heads tall. By comparison, manga/anime characters are often upwards of 8 heads tall, and some are extremes (ex. in Bleach, characters are upwards of 10 heads tall).
If you're going to go for 6-heads-tall proportions, check out the proportions on children of that age. After all, children do look proportional to us, despite not having the same proportions as adults. If you're worried that doing so will make your characters look like kids, then there are two major things you cna do to avoid that:
1. Use adult facial proportions (children have smaller faces and larger eyes compared to the head than adults)
2. Give your characters more defined body features such as hips, pecs, fingers, etc. Children are often softer and have stubbier fingers/limbs due to all the baby fat.

I read your response several times over, and I really appreciate the amount of time you took trying to help me. Hopefully, that aspect of my art will improve over time.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » August 15th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I finished this illustration about a week and a half ago. Once again, I screwed up on the hands and botched the cushion, so I'm not pleased with it. However, I was still going to use it in one of my newer banners anyway. If I crop it around the head, it looks fine.
Next time I draw objects or backgrounds for a color illustration, I'm going to outline them along with my characters.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Next

Return to Creative Showcase