Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

I like funny comics that are enjoyible to read and comics that have a more serius tone like in brody's ghost.

Postby SpiralPen » June 22nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

My absolute favorite is when you can see bits and pieces of all the styles and genres that helped inspire whatever it is you're reading. Not to say that I don't enjoy genre purity, I love me some western superhero comics, manga, and cartoon strips, but my absolute favorite is when you can see a bit of everything meshed together in the artist's style. For example, Scott Pilgrim takes a stylized approach somewhere between western cartoons, Japanese cartoons, and video game simplicity. To use an author on this site as an example, H0lyhandgrenade's style is very scattered in its influences and I enjoy seeing her work because it has pieces of edgy stylized simplicity, jagged manga lines, and the softness of a more traditional "cartoon" style.
Another excellent example would be Homestuck, by Andrew Hussie. The wealth of influences and styles mixed into the art and designs is boggling, ranging from photography, video game sprites, and even stick figure-style drawings. I find it very enjoyable to see a quilt of personal preferences, inspirations, and aspirations in a comic that tell you a little bit about the author and what brought them to where they are today.

*EDIT*
I also believe this is my own style, so that's why I think it's the best, to stay on topic of the thread! @ A @
Not sure if I made that clear, I don't want to turn this into "your favorite genre", it's much more interesting than that.
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2012, 9:38 am

I just like the above, I love mixed with superhero comics, here is some interesting work, I like very

Postby NoWun » July 15th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Simple: action and comedy comics are great for short attention spans. The majority of them don't have sprawling stories with many interlocking elements (which are AWESOME if done right), and are inviting to casual readers. I know I'm guilty of turning away from something because I'm afraid of it being complicated... Which is interesting because I (most of the time) like to be made to think. Maybe I just think epic fights and quick loud laughs are the funnest things you can have in a comic.
NoWun

Postby Ronin356 » July 20th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Sci Fi deals and ask all the tough questions of life, like "how does society deal with the advances of technology?"
and "Why are we here?" :D
Be sure to check out my webcomic Killjoy: http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=98151
and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/
Thanks! Obama for 2012.
Ronin356

Postby AshenSkye » August 4th, 2012, 1:26 pm

I draw medieval fantasy because I don't like drawing cars or appliances. :lol:

Medieval and Victorian are my two favorite settings to read. I have no art style preference. I don't really read gag-a-day comics either.
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby JoKeR » August 13th, 2012, 2:53 am

AshenSkye wrote:I draw medieval fantasy because I don't like drawing cars or appliances. :lol:

You stole my sentence ... !!!

Well not really, but if I would participate in this thread this would be one of my explanations.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby mosama » August 13th, 2012, 10:26 am

Sometimes I think you guys bump my old threads to prove to me how brutally retarded and in need of therapy I was years back. SOMEONE GO INTO THE PAST AND BAN ME.
mosama

Postby JoKeR » August 14th, 2012, 4:31 am

mosama wrote:Sometimes I think you guys bump my old threads to prove to me how brutally retarded and in need of therapy I was years back. SOMEONE GO INTO THE PAST AND BAN ME.

I read the rules ...retardedness is no reason for ban!

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » August 14th, 2012, 8:14 am

JoKeRcologne wrote:
mosama wrote:Sometimes I think you guys bump my old threads to prove to me how brutally retarded and in need of therapy I was years back. SOMEONE GO INTO THE PAST AND BAN ME.

I read the rules ...retardedness is no reason for ban!

Sometimes, I wish it was :<

Mosama, if people bumping your old threads really bothers you, feel free to send me a list of them and I'll lock them for you. Then, they can fade into oblivion~
eishiya

Postby Jadiekins » August 14th, 2012, 11:32 am

AshenSkye wrote:I draw medieval fantasy because I don't like drawing cars or appliances. :lol:

Medieval and Victorian are my two favorite settings to read. I have no art style preference. I don't really read gag-a-day comics either.

I usually default to fantasy because I like drawing monster people and period clothes, and it's really easy for me to find reference materials. I also really like playing with established fantasy tropes a lot.
Jadiekins

Postby Monette » December 19th, 2012, 1:36 pm

I like slice-of-life personally. Im interested in everyday people and events and the funny normal things people d.o That said...I think many slice-of-life comics are unspectacular so I feel many writers benefit from that twist of the un-ordinary (futuristic, furry, a school populated by lesbians) to keep the story fresh. I feel that a good story teller can twist the everyday into a story that is both interesting and relate-able without resorting to complicated love hexagons. Its a process that I am sure is easier said then done.

I am just too critical on the genre. I think thats why Im going crazy trying trying write and draw my current comic (which isnt even online yet). Im having a hard time meeting my own stupid standards.
Monette

Postby CB_Young » December 21st, 2012, 3:09 am

This might not be the place to say it, but I feel that I need to: Manga is not a genre. American comics are not a genre. Sprites are not a genre. They are art styles. Science fiction is a genre. Romance is a genre. Superheros that American comics are stereotyped as is a genre.

My genre-- horror--is the best because there is something fun about going places that you should be afraid to go. It is like having a naughty little secret. Horror is about diving into things that people hate, and then turning them into something that people want to read. It's about taking people to bad places, and then making them like it.
CB_Young

Postby Earthfield » December 21st, 2012, 4:54 am

Hmmm I'm a person who does multiple genres, so it'd be long if I state why I like each of 'em. But, if I were to think about my current work, which is by the way a slice of life... I guess that I like to get to know the characters, see how they interact and develop, even if the story is going nowhere. If ther characters chemistry is good, nothing else matters to me.
My works:
Earthfield

Postby corruption » December 21st, 2012, 11:22 pm

Me, I like a few different kinds of styles. One is comedies that have plot. Not too heavy on the plot or humor. Basically Humorous Stories, let's call them. I also like light drama. Sometimes I like some gag-a-day comics, but they have to appeal to my sense of humors, which tends to dark humor.
Overall, I would say I like stories that are well plotted and subtle in stirring up emotions, or comics that make you think about things in a different way, like Holy Blasphemy.

When it comes to coming up with ideas for stories, I tend to be a bit dramatic.

I think this thread is a good idea as it makes people think about their preferences.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion