Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Share your 8-bits of thought here.

Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Hello Everyone and there's something I want to bring up today. Well, as the title says, are Sprite Hotel comics... dead? If you don't know, Sprite hotel comics are these multi-author comics of people using sprites (Sprites are the frames of video games.) to interact with one another. I have noticed most, if not all, have been discontinued or just not noticed anymore. Does this mean that my hotel comic, (Star Hotel) is just, purposeless, and nobody's into those comics anymore?
Guest
 

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby robybang » August 9th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Collab comics in general tend to have a high burnout rate when there's no underlying structure and the people who start it aren't selective about the people who join. I get that they're usually for fun, but if you let thirty guys join and all they do is upload a spritesheet and a couple of pages of them checking in, then it's going to put off people who are reading it and give new people nothing to work with.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
User avatar
robybang
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: June 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby Mundius » August 9th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Were those even a real thing at some point?
Image < An abuse of the popularity and abundance of Boy Love comics, surreal
User avatar
Mundius
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: August 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby eishiya » August 10th, 2013, 6:41 am

Mundius wrote:Were those even a real thing at some point?

They were, but I've never seen one where everyone made more than a couple of pages each (not counting sprite sheets). I wouldn't be surprised if people realised that those things don't work well. People need direction to work together, even if they don't think they do. The whole point of it being a hotel comic is so that there is no direction for the authors, they're just all in one place and they have to take it from there.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9458
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby Mundius » August 10th, 2013, 11:19 am

eishiya wrote:
Mundius wrote:Were those even a real thing at some point?

They were, but I've never seen one where everyone made more than a couple of pages each (not counting sprite sheets). I wouldn't be surprised if people realised that those things don't work well. People need direction to work together, even if they don't think they do. The whole point of it being a hotel comic is so that there is no direction for the authors, they're just all in one place and they have to take it from there.

So let me be sure that I understand you correctly. Theoretically, a hotel comic can work, but only if all 30 or so artists work together and carefully sculpt together a way for the comic to move constantly so that nobody gets upset. Of course, this sculpting process is extremely difficult to accomplish over the Internet with even 3 people, hence why very, very few hotel comics exist past a few strips. In person, it would be easier, but imagine having an entire high school classroom argue over each other; that's sort of how these work so far. But that's how they're meant to work; in a state of chaos and discord that ends up pleasing every artist on board.
Image < An abuse of the popularity and abundance of Boy Love comics, surreal
User avatar
Mundius
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: August 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby robybang » August 10th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Mundius wrote:So let me be sure that I understand you correctly. Theoretically, a hotel comic can work, but only if all 30 or so artists work together and carefully sculpt together a way for the comic to move constantly so that nobody gets upset.


It doesn't have to be carefully preplanned; if you structured it like an RPG, you could set up a general premise and rules so the story could develop spontaneously. You could come up with something very broad like "This is the hotel. It's been around for decades, but recently there hasn't been enough money to keep it afloat, and a land developer wants to buy the place up. What do we do?" and have some rules against god-modding and metagaming so the game doesn't end too quickly.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
User avatar
robybang
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: June 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Re: Are Sprite Hotel Comics..... Dead?!?!

Postby eishiya » August 11th, 2013, 6:32 am

robybang wrote:
Mundius wrote:So let me be sure that I understand you correctly. Theoretically, a hotel comic can work, but only if all 30 or so artists work together and carefully sculpt together a way for the comic to move constantly so that nobody gets upset.


It doesn't have to be carefully preplanned; if you structured it like an RPG, you could set up a general premise and rules so the story could develop spontaneously. You could come up with something very broad like "This is the hotel. It's been around for decades, but recently there hasn't been enough money to keep it afloat, and a land developer wants to buy the place up. What do we do?" and have some rules against god-modding and metagaming so the game doesn't end too quickly.

This is what I meant. A direction, not a whole itinerary.
I think a GM to keep people's disputes in check and perhaps to introduce new plot events when things get stagnant or too far off-track could also be beneficial, although I doubt most spriters would want that.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9458
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am


Return to Sprites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests