Irritating Guest Comments and News Reordering

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Irritating Guest Comments and News Reordering

Postby TanteiSakana » December 19th, 2009, 4:55 pm

I'm not sure if these count as bugs or feature requests, but since they seem to be too nitpicky to count as bugs, I'll post 'em here.

Guest Comments
I've been using Smack Jeeves for a while now, and have noticed some strange things, especially since for both of my comics I've designed the appearance myself. For one, guest comments often behave strangely. They don't show up in the Site Stats page at all, making multiple times where I haven't known someone has commented on page until I've checked the comics archive myself. For two, there's no easy way to edit them. Sure, deleting them's easy, but the only way I've found to edit them is to delete the comment, then log out and repost the comment edited with the same screenname. With small comics that no one visits like mine, this really isn't a problem, but for one where people actually do post comments frequently, this could possibly cause the order to become jumbled up. For three, on the news pages, guests can edit and delete each other's comments the same way a registered user can alter their own (!?).

I know that not many people have guest comments turned on (or at least that's only reason I could assume they'd be so glitchy), but for me, I have friends who would prefer not to have to register for a site to post a couple comments on one comic.

News Reordering
Also, the News editing page doesn't let you alter the time, unlike the comic editing page. While it would seem pointless to alter the order of the news entries at first, I've altered the news archive page to look like the rest of the pages on the site for my most recent comic, so that people could comment on pages besides the comic pages. Because of this, I also have the front page only show the most recent news piece without a link to the News Archive. Reordering ability would be convenient so I don't have to post a new news entry every time a want to make a new commentable page.

Of course, having commentable Custom Pages would be even better, but this hack would work fine. Plus, it's a bit inconsistent that the News editor lacks this anyways, since both the Custom Page and the Comic editors let you reorder pages with no problem.
TanteiSakana

Re: Irritating Guest Comments and News Reordering

Postby Dan » December 20th, 2009, 12:54 am

Question about guest comments: why do you want to edit other people's comments?

When you post as a guest, you can only edit and delete your own comments (not other guest's comments).
Dan
Site Admin

Postby TanteiSakana » December 20th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Question about guest comments: why do you want to edit other people's comments?

Because some people

like to extend

pages to very long lengths

and you'd want to edit this down too, right? Or they like to be very offensive, and you don't want to piss them off by completely deleting their comments? I mean, that's why forum moderators have the ability to edit posts, right? You appear to be against editing people's comments, but that should be up to admins of each comic, right?

When you post as a guest, you can only edit and delete your own comments (not other guest's comments).

It's fixed now, for some reason. o_o Last night, when I logged out, only on the News Archive page, the guest comments had 'edit' and 'delete' buttons on them. That worked. I guess the problem's been dealt with?
TanteiSakana

Postby Dan » December 20th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Nothing's been changed, no. Not sure why there was a discrepancy between yesterday and today for you.

The reason you can't edit other people's comments is so people can't put words in other people's mouths. If people are posting offensive comments on your comic, I would recommend just deleting them. Why would you want to keep offensive comments anyway?
Dan
Site Admin

Postby TanteiSakana » December 20th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Okay, the editing comments thing is not that big of a deal, and since the 'no editing comments' seems to be part of the site's philosophy, the workaround here works fine. What about the other things, though? I mean, I've gotten used to checking the Comic Archives every day instead of checking the Site Stats, since everyone who posts comments in my comic are guests, but the Site Stats implies that it's supposed to show all comments on your pages, not just registered user's comments. I mean, if I remember right, it doesn't even update the 'Total Number of Comments' when a guest comments.

And I know that altering the times on news entries probably isn't very useful, just would make things a bit easier and a bit more consistent. It's the same for all of this, really, because I already have perfectly usable workarounds for everything that I've asked for. So, no big deal, really.
TanteiSakana

Postby Dan » December 20th, 2009, 8:59 pm

TanteiSakana wrote:guest comments don't show up in the site stats

That is a bug, yep. Gotta fix it.
Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » December 20th, 2009, 9:22 pm

That one fixed?
Dan
Site Admin

Postby TanteiSakana » December 21st, 2009, 11:10 am

Uh huh. They even appear on other comic's profiles now, which I saw. :)

I also think I figured out why I had that issue with the guest comment editing thing. It looks like when you post a guest comic, the site keeps track of who posted the guest comic (somehow) and lets your computer edit and delete it. The reason I was able to edit all the ones on the news page is because I was moving them from a comic page to the news page, and thus posted them all. It probably went away because, well, I clear out my cookies and stuff ALL THE TIME, and would barely make the connection.

Oh, yeah, and I think this is a bug: When you log in, it puts you back onto the page you were on before clicking log in. That's fine, but if you do it on the 'You've been logged out' page, it takes you back to that page and..... logs you out again. It's not supposed to do that, is it? :|
TanteiSakana

Return to Bugs & Glitches