Is it wrong to call my comic BL if it's mostly for comedy?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Is it wrong to call my comic BL if it's mostly for comedy?

Postby akemikae » February 2nd, 2014, 5:22 am

I don't know how to word this very well...But...

Well, my current comic project is mostly just a comedy, but I want to toss in some BL love interest in there as well. I don't want it to be the focus, but I want it to be there, and I want to somehow let people know it will happen. ...but the comic won't be strictly about the BL aspect.

Do you know what I mean?

Like, one of the main characters (Trisc) totally has the hots for his best friend (Krisle), and occasionally, I wish to focus on that aspect a bit, but just occasionally. Krisle is too stupid to really take him seriously most of the time, so it would usually end in some type of a joke, you know? Then other times, Trisc will spend time trying to convince Krisle he's serious, and maybe,perhaps, Krisle finally get it and it goes on from there.

So how would I go about this? I need to tell people it's there, but I don't want them to jump into my comic, and be disappointed that it's not strictly about the BL love story.
akemikae

Re: Is it wrong to call my comic BL if it's mostly for comedy?

Postby SilverHyena » February 2nd, 2014, 5:43 am

If it's a minor aspect of the story I wouldn't bother labeling it on the banner, but it doesn't hurt to put a little warning in the comic's summary since, logically, people are going to read that to see if they're interested in looking at the comic anyway. If anyone bothers you about it just point to that warning and it should be fine I think.
SilverHyena

Postby Selidor » February 2nd, 2014, 5:46 am

If there's an actual love story in there between two male main characters then calling it BL is fine, even if it takes a long time to develop. If it's just some jokes based around one character's feelings for the other, then I don't think you could call it BL. It's not really clear from your summary which one your comic is. If there's little to no actual romance, then I wouldn't put BL on the banner or in the description.
Selidor

Postby blankd » February 2nd, 2014, 6:41 am

I'm a little biased in this, but I don't think putting BL in the banner will help you as it is a bit of a loaded label.

It does attract BL fans but it can also drive off people who are sick of it. If you want to attract people who appreciate things beyond "look at these two male characters have a romance", you will be better off not using the the BL label. Not all BL readers are like this but a good amount of the lurker-readers tend to skew towards that. The BL tends to cater to a certain idea.

A decent litmus test is if you would put "features heterosexual romance" on a banner. If you find that silly, then don't use the BL label.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby maplebee » February 2nd, 2014, 7:17 am

I wouldn't use a BL label unless you want it to falsely drive readership to your comic. BL tends to carry the meaning that a comic is in the romance genre; if your comic doesn't focus mainly on a gay romance, then the BL label is misleading.

I also don't think you need to post any warnings about possible BL content, unless it will be explicitly sexual. Posting a warning about just general gay content suggests there's something wrong or offensive about being gay, which isn't the case. If it's just some comedy about the dynamic between the characters, or affectionate gestures like hugs or kisses, then I don't think any warnings are needed.
maplebee

Postby Spacepegasus » March 5th, 2014, 12:28 pm

I don't think anyone who knows what BL stands for would be surprised to find it in a SJ comic about an all boy's school that has shirtless guys on it's banner, so I wouldn't worry about it ;)
Spacepegasus

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion