How long is your average chapter?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: How long is your average chapter?

Postby Jadiekins » September 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Trying to keep the comic chapters in the 20's for printing reasons, the first chapter notwithstanding. Generally I try to keep it around 24 to maybe 32 at the most and in multiples of four so it can be easily saddle stitched.
Jadiekins

Postby Zhriffixx » December 23rd, 2013, 4:41 pm

35-40ish pages is my average chapter length.

My ideal is 30-35ish but I seem to have an aversion to condensing story/cramming panels @u@. I imagine the pages would vary widely with what type of comic is being presented (long-form with big arcs, short-form, gags, etc.) because the way the chapters cut should go along with the flow of the story.
Zhriffixx

Postby Chris chris » January 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

My shortest was ten once, but that's because it was a very slow chapter that involved just the two characters interacting. Average about 30, my longest was almost 60 I think. I try to aim for 20 pages a chapter to make sure it has some substance.
Chris chris

Postby Spooks » January 4th, 2014, 8:48 pm

My chapters tend to be around 50 pages long, but honestly, it's however long I need to tell that section of the story. I don't alter my comic to fit page requirements.

Another thing to keep in mind is that chapters (arguably) aren't quite as important to webcomics as they are to printed comics. In a printed comic, they give the reader a comfortable place to stop reading and go do something else. With webcomics, you're usually reading the comic page by page as it updates, so it's not quite as important. I use them anyway because I like the format of chaptered comics, among other reasons. :P
Spooks

Postby pushingthehabit » January 10th, 2014, 10:01 pm

On average, in script, they come up around 20 pages, but I write each chapter by dividing it into usually three main "parts" or "events" to ensure the content is there. So I basically give myself six or so pages to get one thing across, or to show it or whatever, and to transition to the next issue/scene/event/whatever I need to put in now so the next chapter will be equally or more interesting. This is badly explained, but it works fine for me haha.
Oh hey look a signature.
pushingthehabit

Postby revzet » January 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm

My chapters are usually 60-ish pages long, but the one I'm working on right now is going to be in the 30's, so it just depends on how I want the pacing.
revzet

Postby IsaacCraveFries » January 11th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Hmm... usually 30 pages or so.
IsaacCraveFries

Postby dylanmc12 » February 11th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Depends. I haven't made the shift to teh interwebz yet, but whenever I draw a chapter for a friend, I always make it about 17 pages long. That is also dependent on what it is. If it's a gag, then it'll be brief, like 10-15 pages. If it's actually tangible and has a story, up to 25.
I can't get the Garlfield and Friend's opening out of my head.

Anyone.

Help me.
dylanmc12

Postby Soen Kai » April 21st, 2015, 4:00 pm

It's usually between 20 and 26 pages per chapter for me.
The longest I have done was 52 pages, but that was an absolute exception.
Having more or less the same number of pages for each chapter also helps the artist to properly build an arc of suspense.
Soen Kai

Postby Eagle99 » April 21st, 2015, 6:58 pm

A rigid 22 pages. That's the standard in the print comic industry for reasons of expense and the need for pages for advertising and editorial content.

I find it helps to keep my writing tight, and keep me from going off on tangents.

Eagle

(I save the tangents for posts, e-mails, and blog entries)
(The Shadow War on Smack Jeeves updates on Wednesdays!)
(Now updating script pages daily! The Shadow War updates on Sunday Nights)
Eagle99

Postby Captain Ghost » April 21st, 2015, 10:30 pm

Between 14 and 18 for me, seems like.
I think initially it was just 'cause that was enough to tell what I wanted to in that amount,
and then I got sorta 'conditioned' by manga?

In any case I'd be curious to try out different lengths/pacing, but I think it's fun to work with. Concise.
Captain Ghost

Postby IvyDoodle » April 23rd, 2015, 4:27 pm

AMG my first chapter was like 40 pages and amounted to no progression at all XD I suppose you could count it as 32 if you take out the prologue pages that weren’t separated though…

Second one is majorly improved though at 20 pages. In future I guess I’ll try and keep it between 20-30
IvyDoodle

Postby Merone » April 23rd, 2015, 6:35 pm

Mine are 20-25 pages long. I try to keep them short since there's a lot going on, so it would be better to break it down.
Merone

Postby mikemacdee » April 26th, 2015, 4:40 am

I tend to tell a story all in one go, dividing it into scenes rather than chapters. I guess it's because my approach to comics is less "comic" and more "movie" when I plot it out, so I try to tell the story all in one seamless go, rather than dividing it into parts (although I've been writing chaptered comic scripts lately, so it's not that I frown on the practice or anything).

The length of each scene varies greatly. The intro scene alone is 16 pages; the fight scenes range from 1 to 22 pages; but most of the scenes are about 5 pages long, give or take. It really depends what the scene's purpose is: if it requires tension or choreography, it'll require a lot more panels than an expository conversation.
mikemacdee

Postby elixia_dragmire » May 11th, 2015, 5:36 pm

at the moment, the first one was 27. and the second one is looking like 33. So, so far it looks like 30 is the magic number for me.
elixia_dragmire

PreviousNext

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques