Nintendo Switch

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Falconer » March 3rd, 2017, 11:12 am

We ordered ours last night through Amazon Now and got it by 9am. I'm in love y'all. :D

Bonus is that I have today off, which was totally incidental since I didn't expect we'd actually be able to get one haha
Falconer

Postby Raging Ghost » March 3rd, 2017, 1:25 pm

Got mine today. Too bad my parents had to buy another router just so I could connect online with it, though.
Raging Ghost

Postby trenton_dawn » March 3rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

The last console which I bought on release was the GameCube, so I forgot how quickly the preorders run out. Oh well, I waited 5 years for a new Zelda, I can wait a few more weeks.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby DracheLehre » March 3rd, 2017, 6:24 pm

Got my Switch at noon and the next thing I knew it was 5:00, so yeah...
DracheLehre

Postby Seven Rain » March 4th, 2017, 1:32 am

Oh my god BotW is so damn good. It not only does open-world well, but retains the feeling of being an actual Zelda game in the process. Wish FFXV could've been the same way.
And I'm super glad I avoided spoilers. It feels good going in blind. I've been slow to adjust to the controls, especially being forced to have sprint and jump on opposite sides of the buttons, but it's a really smooth, awesome experience to play.

The console itself is not without personal gripes, though. The Joycon are a lot smaller than I thought, and the button placement irks me. (WHY ARE PLUS AND MINUS WAY UP AT THE TOP AND WHY DOES THE RIGHT STICK HAVE TO BE DIRECTLY BELOW THE FACE BUTTONS!?) It makes me really frustrated that I didn't pre-order a Pro Controller when I had the chance, because they're sold out everywhere now... But oh well. If I'm gonna play in portable mode I gotta get used to the Joycon anyway.
I'm also confused as to why it won't pick up my main wifi signal. The one that my phone, my other consoles, even my 3DS uses. Instead, the Switch can only use the guest connection I had to set up for the original DS and it's archaic restrictions. What's up with that?
Other than that it's a really cool system. No qualms aside from those, and stuff that'll be fixed with future updates.

Already getting excited for E3.

*EDIT*
Beat Hinox by throwing a sledgehammer in his eye. 10/10 Zelda game.
Seven Rain

Postby Raging Ghost » March 4th, 2017, 12:35 pm

I have found the most life-changing detail in this game.

Spoiler! :
If Wolf Link finds meat on the ground, he will eat it, healing himself as he does it.
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » March 4th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Man, I really wish the Switch could save video clips like the PS4. There were some good moments on my first night of playing that had me and Clint losing our shit.
Notable examples being the aforementioned Hinox kill and using the Guardian amiibo to summon a rain of giant metal boxes on top of Link's head leaving Link and the boxes tumbling down a hill as a fairy flies a lap around our brilliant hero.

Shoulda just busted out the Elgato. I bet it works just fine with a Switch.

*EDIT*
Still really disappointed with how weak the wifi is with this thing, though. I wanna get a Lan Adapter for it anyway, but it still sucks that the connection will be terrible when undocked.
How are your connections holding up? Am I the only one having issues with signal strength? I wonder if the Switch just doesn't like the router I use...
Seven Rain

Postby DracheLehre » March 4th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Man, I really wish the Switch could save video clips like the PS4. There were some good moments on my first night of playing that had me and Clint losing our shit.
Notable examples being the aforementioned Hinox kill and using the Guardian amiibo to summon a rain of giant metal boxes on top of Link's head leaving Link and the boxes tumbling down a hill as a fairy flies a lap around our brilliant hero.

IIRC, Nintendo said that they are working on making the screenshot button also have a clip-recording functionality in the future.
DracheLehre

Postby Seven Rain » March 4th, 2017, 6:39 pm

I think I remember that, too. That'd be cool, but it's a shame I'll still miss out on recording these hilarious early moments in Zelda.

Unrelated but woohoo, I found a Pro Controller! Had to get a ride out to Jordan Creek for it but I didn't think I'd find one this quickly. Thought I'd be stuck waiting a week.
Can't wait to put this thing through it's paces for the rest of the night.

*EDIT*
Oh, and for homies playing Zelda I've got a word of advice: Try to resist the urge to explore a lot until you've followed the main quest long enough to fully restore the features of the Sheikah Slate. It doesn't take very long, and adds some stuff you'll wish you had sooner while exploring.
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » March 4th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Just got to the part in Zelda with the Lynel (or maybe there's multiple parts with them, I dunno).

that thing killed me in one hit so I thought I wasn't supposed to fight it... but then I made a meal that gives me like 12 temp hearts, and learned how to parry its attacks and managed to get it down to half health, before it did a new thing and killed me.
I don't actually have to fight it, but since I got that close, I gotta. This game's real cool
Bowserknight

Postby Oly-RRR » March 4th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Got Switch and Zelda on release, first time I saw a queue of more than 3 people at the local game shop. :o

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT but can't get online yet because my router is weird and Nintendo removed the security protocol 3DS has (what's this with removing stuff that works for everyone). Bluh, wifi was a pain when I got the smartphone too, though for different reasons.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Seven Rain » March 4th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Bowserknight wrote:Just got to the part in Zelda with the Lynel (or maybe there's multiple parts with them, I dunno).

that thing killed me in one hit so I thought I wasn't supposed to fight it... but then I made a meal that gives me like 12 temp hearts, and learned how to parry its attacks and managed to get it down to half health, before it did a new thing and killed me.
I don't actually have to fight it, but since I got that close, I gotta. This game's real cool

Yeah, the combat is super fun. From what I've heard, (the one thing I couldn't help but ask about instead of waiting to see;) this game doesn't have any super traditional Zelda-style dungeons and stuff, and probably not a lot of bosses, but other than that this game is everything I've ever wanted out of Zelda.
TONS of different equipment, a more robust combat system, and lots of enemies and fights. I just got done with a mission where I had to clear a bunch of monsters off of a beach, including a Moblin that could one-shot me, and the variety and shenanigans I went through systematically eradicating them from the outside was so satisfying. Throwing weapons, disarming enemies, being tricky with bombs and arrows, luring enemies away to single them out, sneaking around, (STEALTH IN A ZELDA GAME!) I love it. Any faults I can think of are completely void compared to the rest of it.

Oly-RRR wrote:can't get online yet because my router is weird and Nintendo removed the security protocol 3DS has (what's this with removing stuff that works for everyone). Bluh, wifi was a pain when I got the smartphone too, though for different reasons.

Glad I'm not the only one having problems, though you seem to be more wifi savvy than me. I couldn't wrap my head around the problem for the longest time, and after looking things up and experimenting with my router I managed to get the Switch to pick up my wifi signal by changing it from TKIP to AES, but it's still super weak and slow.
Seven Rain

Postby Oly-RRR » March 4th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I just got done with a mission where I had to clear a bunch of monsters off of a beach, including a Moblin that could one-shot me

This sort of talk just scares me - it's my first Zelda game, and I love it but I've never been good at combats. Doing lots of running and pathetic arrow-gathering after each enemy encounter. :lol:

Seven Rain wrote:you seem to be more wifi savvy than me. I couldn't wrap my head around the problem for the longest time, and after looking things up and experimenting with my router I managed to get the Switch to pick up my wifi signal by changing it from TKIP to AES, but it's still super weak and slow.

Well I'm not savvy enough to fix it (had to ask parents for help)! :P My router has AES as an option but it doesn't seem to work, and trying to switch my 3DS from TKIP to AES makes it go offline as well. Oh well, early days... I'm kind of prepared for this router to cause trouble with each new device, I'm just putting off the inevitable. Seriously, what Nintendo gains by removing TKIP like that is beyond me.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Seven Rain » March 4th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I just got done with a mission where I had to clear a bunch of monsters off of a beach, including a Moblin that could one-shot me

This sort of talk just scares me - it's my first Zelda game, and I love it but I've never been good at combats. Doing lots of running and pathetic arrow-gathering after each enemy encounter. :lol:

At least you can load up on elixers and stat-boosting meals if fights give you trouble! That and stocking up on fairies now that you don't have a finite amount of storage for them.

Spoiler! :
Personally; playing the Souls series and the KH games on Proud/Critical has turned me into a masochist. I'm probably going to spend most of the game upgrading my stamina and staying at three hearts. It's fun playing a 3D Zelda game with some difficulty to it.
Seven Rain

Postby DracheLehre » March 4th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Spoiler! :
Every time I see a lone traveler in this game (BoTW), I get happy because the chances are that they are of the Yiga clan, which generally means free cool weapon and money!
DracheLehre

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games