What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Postby thelordbaeron » November 28th, 2017, 12:22 am

Dragon Ball was a huge source of inspiration for me as a teenager, as well as Rurouni Kenshin.

I just remember reading/watching those shows, and feeling so inspired. I wanted to inspire others, like they'd done to me. I drew a ton in highschool, but never really got any proper schooling or ever went out of my comfort zone. I've only really created art in earnest within the last couple years. But one day, it will all come full circle.
thelordbaeron

Postby darkenergy » November 29th, 2017, 8:54 am

10? That's pretty cool.

The inspiration for this one was...I needed to practice drawing men more frequently.
darkenergy

Postby Stacy H » November 29th, 2017, 8:08 pm

thelordbaeron wrote:Dragon Ball was a huge source of inspiration for me as a teenager, as well as Rurouni Kenshin.

I just remember reading/watching those shows, and feeling so inspired. I wanted to inspire others, like they'd done to me. I drew a ton in highschool, but never really got any proper schooling or ever went out of my comfort zone. I've only really created art in earnest within the last couple years. But one day, it will all come full circle.

Have to give it to the classics- Kenshin was beautiful.

I started drawing comics in 5th grade- I remember making a comic book about cat people, lol!
I really went for it full time after high school. I think my biggest inspiration was YuYu Hakusho- I'm a sucker for paranormal stories.
Stacy H

Postby Norris » December 1st, 2017, 4:25 am

Marvel movies inspire me the most.
It was a striking victory for me! No doubt in it! It seems I need a new place to live now. Maybe even a new family. All because of lord.of.the.ocean.slot.com. That website made me a free man.
Norris

Postby Gamer_Mom » December 1st, 2017, 9:18 am

For me it was Powerpuff Girls and anime, i remember always watching it and thinking how good the story would be if "this" happens or if "that" happens. So, i use to just draw out my ideas - I started with PPG design and slowly start to develop my own style.
I always enjoy the rush of making a new story and a new world and that just kinda stuck with me throughout my years.
Gamer_Mom

Postby RELLER » December 2nd, 2017, 8:49 am

I started drawing when I was a kid (around 4-ish), and I always had ideas for characters, and the stories I wanted to tell with them, so the two naturally merged.
(For webcomics though, that was all Homestuck)
RELLER

Postby xwx101 » August 24th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Been drawing characters since early pokemon/dragon ball days. I only ever considered my own manga/comic when I picked up my first Shounen Jump.
Back at it, hoping to get it right this time. :)
xwx101

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » August 24th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I've always been an avid fan of comics since childhood, but I think what really got me drawing was a book called Manga Madness which I got at Michaels in middle school. I still have the book and it had all kinds of tips and notes about making manga and comics. It looked real cool and that was kinda the take off point for me. I kinda switched to animation in college but went back to comics when I decided to make Kalwa as I felt making a full out animated series would be too hard and it would take forever to get it going, as I was working, I fell in love with the process again, and have been drawing ever since.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » August 24th, 2018, 11:31 pm

xwx101 wrote:Been drawing characters since early pokemon/dragon ball days. I only ever considered my own manga/comic when I picked up my first Shounen Jump.

Shonen Jump is a great source of inspiration, I used to have a huge collection myself, but I think I discovered the graphic novels first.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby authorloremipsum » August 25th, 2018, 2:46 am

I've always wanted to do comics since I was really little, but I couldn't Get drawing so I practiced writing for a looooooong time first. I got really good at writing, started drawing, and at about that time watched BBC's Sherlock.

Aaaaaaand that's about where my current Sherlock Holmes obsession began. Being a lover of the books, I tried to go back and watch the show that inspired it only to get very, very angry. Every modern adaptation I watched just, forgot how kind and sweet Holmes could be.

So uh, I decided to do it myself lol.
authorloremipsum

Postby MemaiShirosaki » August 25th, 2018, 11:39 pm

As a wee Mems I was frustrated no one was making the kind of stories I wanted to do. I was introduced to absolute classics like Sailormoon very early on, and I was disappointed that there wasn't anything more like it.

So I took matters into my own hands XD I eventually began populating my little head (read: Sims neighborhoods) with characters and their stories. I didn't have the patience to write it out as a novel, but comics? Now there's something! I've always loved the medium, why not keep at it? ;)
MemaiShirosaki

Postby VeggieBrah » August 26th, 2018, 9:17 am

I've always enjoyed reading indie comics and web comics over the bloated and visual heavy mainstream comics. Thats not a pretentious criticism of those stories but I really liked the intimacy and the heart behind the stories and art styles of artists trying to tell their stories simply for the love of the story and the medium. It was always inspiring. As for my own personal work, I wanted to create something thrilling and thought provoking. Not just for a potential audience, but something for myself to look back on and reflect my growth as an artist and person as the story progressed.
VeggieBrah

Postby EmperorWalrusComics » September 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm

I drew a lot.
Then, I drew characters a lot.
Then, I read a comic for the first time and thought, "Woah, I can actually use my characters to tell a story."
Then, I drew comics a lot.
EmperorWalrusComics

Postby Zin Trollborn » September 4th, 2018, 5:01 am

The fact to have grown in a background where entertainment lacked a lot, it led me to draw and imagining things a lot during childhood. All that fed with the few cartoons, manga, animes, video games and books I could put my hands on.
I always had stories in mind but never got enough motivated or confident to draw them. I still started with short humorous comics about some video games because I needed to tell people a dumb version of it :lol:

I had an artblock for several long years and I started to draw again for a comic project I wanted to do long ago. Am I able to draw regularly again? to evolve my drawing skills? to draw a comic till the end? to get myself invovled enough?
It's actually a big test and a selfish challenge to myself. So that's how my current comic started.
Just a comic banner down here.
Spoiler! :
Zin Trollborn

Postby Paulie Blade » September 4th, 2018, 10:10 am

Hard to tell. I drew my first comic when I was 8. It consisted of literally hundreds of pages featuring semi-SF adventures of a certain dude. I think I drew this book before I actually started buying comic books myself. So I dunno, maybe storytelling was always somewhat inside me, no matter how pompous it sounds.
Paulie Blade

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion