Who reads politically incorrect comics?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: Who reads politically incorrect comics?

Postby JoKeR » February 20th, 2018, 3:40 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:Clover's referring to situations where people make an offensive joke, defend it by saying it's just a joke, but actually aren't entirely joking. Kidding around about offensive stuff is one way of testing the waters to see if other people agree with you.

I see.
But how do you perceive offensiveness? Is it a feeling or is it a rule set in stone? Morality?
Morality is shifting every year ...no, every few weeks actually.
And political-incorrect stuff equate always to offensive stuff?

mitchellbravo wrote:chill funny Nazis killing caricature Jews

This would be considered to be offensive here in Germany ...but anywhere else it might be just a nuisance.

Also an important factor to what counts as political incorrect, is time.
What is P.I. now, wasn't in the past or will be just ignored in the future.
For example:
A B.L. comic would have created an outrage 1950 and would be seen as highly political incorrect.
And that "story idea" from you would be a best-seller in Nazi-Germany.

P.I. content is just provoking the current morality with unpopular opinions.
Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know... But I know for sure it will be there as long as Humankind exists.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby mitchellbravo » February 20th, 2018, 4:15 pm

JoKeR wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:Clover's referring to situations where people make an offensive joke, defend it by saying it's just a joke, but actually aren't entirely joking. Kidding around about offensive stuff is one way of testing the waters to see if other people agree with you.

I see.
But how do you perceive offensiveness? Is it a feeling or is it a rule set in stone? Morality?
Morality is shifting every year ...no, every few weeks actually.
And political-incorrect stuff equate always to offensive stuff?

Everyone's going to give a different answer for this, which is partially why the anti-PC backlash happened in the first place. People perceived "the line" as being drawn in ridiculous places and challenged this by going as far OVER the line as they could think. Which I get, and don't necessarily have a problem with, I'm just not going to be impressed and think someone is super duper clever because they drew a child saying swear words while shooting somebody's head off or something.

I'd say offensiveness is feeling-based, as I mentioned in the other post it depends on how something is being represented or depicted. Take as an example, a depiction of somebody getting cut open. Is it offensive or not? If it's part of a torture scene, yeah, I'd say offensive, I wouldn't want to watch it, wouldn't want my kids watching it, and wouldn't have it on if I had company over. If other people want to watch it that's there prerogative but that's where I'd categorize it. But if it's part of somebody receiving life-saving surgery? That's something I watch regularly, and while I might not put it on as background entertainment while company was over, if my kids watched it I would be okay with that as long as they understood what was happening.

It's one of those things where the intent usually shapes how the depiction is read.

No, not all politically incorrect stuff is necessarily offensive *to me personally*- I don't think the categories overlap entirely. I imagine things deemed politically incorrect *are* considered offensive to a large group of people, maybe not a majority, but a sizeable group, and this is determined on a case by case basis.

And yes, I definitely get that acceptance changes over time. Your two examples are a good comparison. It has to do with when a group gains enough agency that something is no longer accepted by them, and they request that people outside their group be mindful of this. Whether other people care enough to make changes is up to the individual and that's just a personal freedom thing. I take issue with people who claim to be "anti-PC" or "politically incorrect" and "tell it like it is" but then get whiny when not everyone happily laps it up or takes it rolling over or insist that other people "can't take a joke," etc. That's just cowardice trying to masquerade as audacity.

Whether something politically incorrect is good or bad, valuable or invaluable... it's not really definable, since it's so dependent on the piece itself, the artist, the audience, the time, etc, etc, etc. But that's also outside the scope of this discussion- not that I think there's much to discuss at this point, since the OP seems to have dropped this precious treasure on us and then fled, and didn't seem particularly interested in the resultant dialogue.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » February 20th, 2018, 5:12 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:not that I think there's much to discuss at this point, since the OP seems to have dropped this precious treasure on us and then fled, and didn't seem particularly interested in the resultant dialogue.

This, really.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby JoKeR » February 20th, 2018, 7:16 pm

@mitchellbravo
I liked to read your thoughts. Thank you.

Oly-RRR wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:not that I think there's much to discuss at this point, since the OP seems to have dropped this precious treasure on us and then fled, and didn't seem particularly interested in the resultant dialogue.

This, really.

Well, maybe it's time then to close this thread?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby mitchellbravo » February 20th, 2018, 7:46 pm

JoKeR wrote:@mitchellbravo
I liked to read your thoughts. Thank you.

Yours, too! Always good to hear another perspective.

I vote for leaving it open, but the next time somebody necro's it I'll post a creepy picture and then lock it. A fitting end
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby kayotics » February 21st, 2018, 10:14 am

on the topic of closing it: I've actually been enjoying the result of the conversation from afar. From the title and the OP, they definitely had a "people are too offended these days" vibe, but the continuing discussion was actually pretty interesting to read. So, thanks for at least humoring the original post.
kayotics

Previous

Return to Life Issues