i'm not sure if i should work in clip studio paint anymore

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

i'm not sure if i should work in clip studio paint anymore

Postby ewolf20 » January 9th, 2019, 10:46 am

despite the many months of using this program, i feel as if going blind isn't doing it for me. doing digital painting in this program is kinda hard to do in it personally and the last time i did that it was terrible. however, it's still good for comics and even if i end up getting photoshop, i'll still use it for coloring, line art, and sometimes shading....
ewolf20

Re: i'm not sure if i should work in clip studio paint anymo

Postby KissyPunch » February 6th, 2019, 11:47 am

What do you feel is the problem with Clip Studio Paint?
KissyPunch

Postby kestral » February 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm

have you checked out the tutorials and walk through on the site and those up on youtube?
kestral

Postby Chiharu-j » February 8th, 2019, 6:52 am

As someone who used Photoshop for many years before discovering what was known as Manga Studio and then Clip Studio Paint, my work has become so easy in CSP. I think maybe tutorials will help you. Photoshop is a lot more complicated and I think maybe that switch from something complicated to something simple might also be an adjustment for you. I don't know but painting brushes feel a lot more natural in CPS for me, I didn't like using the blending brush in Photoshop. In the end everybody has preferences though.
Chiharu-j

Postby haganekitsune » February 8th, 2019, 11:22 am

ewolf20 wrote:despite the many months of using this program, i feel as if going blind isn't doing it for me. doing digital painting in this program is kinda hard to do in it personally and the last time i did that it was terrible. however, it's still good for comics and even if i end up getting photoshop, i'll still use it for coloring, line art, and sometimes shading....

If you had better productivity in other applications, then, by all means, use what works for you.

If you've not used Photoshop before:
It's not going to fix the problems you have with drawing, painting, or anything else. There is no combination of programs that will instantly make you good at these things.

That said... Clip Studio Paint can be a bit of a pain to learn. I find Photoshop worse. If you want a lower learning curve, maybe consider trying the demo of Paint Tool SAI and deciding if that will work for you.
haganekitsune

Postby kzuich » February 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm

CSP is arguably my favorite drawing program, but to be honest I can understand completely not liking coloring in it. I'd usually stick with PS or Sai, but then again, I don't do a ton of digital coloring.

You gotta do what works for you! If it means switching programs, then switch programs.
kzuich

Postby Kyulein » February 9th, 2019, 5:36 am

When I got CSP I was very curious about it, but it definitely tried to kill me with an overload of functions upon opening it for the first time. That's what killed momentum for me. I've since dabbled in it here and there, but lack a cohesive understanding of the program as well. Hence I often opt to use my tried and true SAI2+PS combo. So I understand where you're coming from in regards of CSP being difficult to learn. But this also feels a little like it's a form of the greener grass in neighbour's garden.

Lots of friends of mine swear on the program and they get on with it great. It is highly customisable for your use after all. If I invested more time in properly learning the program and seek out dedicated tutorials and tipps, it might work better for me, too. Properly learning to use your tools will help you more than switching art programs. And there are tutorials en masse on youtube, deviantart, skillshare and whatnot.
Kyulein

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques