Please can I have some help with Kermit Template

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Please can I have some help with Kermit Template

Postby Blargargy » April 7th, 2019, 5:34 am

Hi guys.
I am completely new to this so apologies in advance, total coding noob here.

I really like the simplicity of the Kermit template but wanted to go one further.

I was just wondering if it is possible to remove the navigation bar completely from the left side, making the comic centered, and then include the navigation links below the comic, on the same line as where I've got the "add to favorites" line. I think I might be able to work out that second part (at least using text, would not have a clue how to make the tabs) but can someone let me know if the first is possible?

This is the site as is:

http://thelegendofincineroar.smackjeeve ... 036/title/

Basically since the comic is panel by panel I just want it to look as simple as possible, with as little clutter as possible, and also in the hope each page might load faster. I don't really know if this is the best route to take but as I said, total noob.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Blargargy

Re: Please can I have some help with Kermit Template

Postby eishiya » April 7th, 2019, 9:05 am

It's possible, but it would be a pretty big hassle because the Kermit template is set up in a weird way. I suspect that if you're not familiar with using your browser's Inspect tools and with how HTML/CSS work in general, you might be better off stripping styling off another template or even coding one from scratch, since you're looking for something very simple.

Check out the Gunmetal Reloaded template. With some colour tweaks and moving the menu over, I think it'll be just about what you need, and its structure is simple enough that you can move things around without too much hassle.

I should mention, that for basic template like most of SJ's tempaltes are, oading times are not a problem at all, they're all fairly minimal. Streamlined is the only "heavy" template, and even then, most of its apparent slowness is due to Javascript-driven ornamentation rather than loading.
eishiya

Postby Blargargy » April 7th, 2019, 8:51 pm

eishiya wrote:It's possible, but it would be a pretty big hassle because the Kermit template is set up in a weird way. I suspect that if you're not familiar with using your browser's Inspect tools and with how HTML/CSS work in general, you might be better off stripping styling off another template or even coding one from scratch, since you're looking for something very simple.

Check out the Gunmetal Reloaded template. With some colour tweaks and moving the menu over, I think it'll be just about what you need, and its structure is simple enough that you can move things around without too much hassle.

I should mention, that for basic template like most of SJ's tempaltes are, oading times are not a problem at all, they're all fairly minimal. Streamlined is the only "heavy" template, and even then, most of its apparent slowness is due to Javascript-driven ornamentation rather than loading.

Thanks for the response and help eishiya. Yes I had considered using that or the 'Simple and Clean' template so will have a look at them. Thanks again, greatly appreciated!
Blargargy

Postby Blargargy » April 8th, 2019, 2:09 am

Hi eishiya
Apologies if I am being a pain.
I was able to work out how to get the site looking as I wanted but there is one minor little 'feature' of the kermit template I'm wanting to maintain.
When a page is loading on the gunmetal template, the layout of the page is distorted until the image loads. For example, the navigation box (next/previous/etc) is for a moment at the top of the page until the image loads, where it then rests below.
On the Kermit template the overall layout is not affected while the image loads, all the navigation items remain in place before and after the image has loaded up.
I prefer this since as I said the comic is panel by panel and I'm a bit OCD like that.

Do you know what I am talking about, and if it is possible to have anything done about that? Could I make an invisible set border around the comic image to prevent the layout distorting?

If this is being anal I apologise and am happy to just accept it as is if there's no way to resolve it.
Blargargy

Postby eishiya » April 8th, 2019, 8:23 am

That is a bit anal, but it can be done :D

In Comic Page, find:
Code: Select all
{comic_image.FORMATTED}

<div style="width: {comic_image.WIDTH}px; height: {comic_image.HEIGHT}px;">
{comic_image.FORMATTED}
</div>

This puts a box around the image the same size as the image, and the size is there before the image even begins to load.
eishiya

Postby Blargargy » April 8th, 2019, 9:30 am

eishiya wrote:That is a bit anal, but it can be done :D

In Comic Page, find:
{comic_image.FORMATTED}

<div style="width: {comic_image.WIDTH}px; height: {comic_image.HEIGHT}px;">
{comic_image.FORMATTED}
</div>

This puts a box around the image the same size as the image, and the size is there before the image even begins to load.

That worked perfectly, thank you so much eishiya! Absolute legend!
Blargargy

Return to Template Development & Support