Thoughts off the top of your head

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby AshenSkye » May 18th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
AshenSkye wrote:For adults. Lots of kiddie books. None for adults. What bizarre Twilight Zone purgatory have I dropped myself in to with JAD?

I feel the lack of it too. Honestly I think I'm too deep into comics woods to start an illustrated writing thing myself but an online community would help with considering that option more.

I wonder if any webcomic or novel site would let us be the fungus growing on their backside, or if we'd have to go claim our own rock to grow under? But it's reassuring to find somebody else who has considered it. (:
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
User avatar
AshenSkye
 
Posts: 282
Joined: May 1st, 2011, 10:46 am
Location: Appalachian Foothills

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby mitchellbravo » May 22nd, 2019, 8:35 pm

When your "class pet" turns out to be an invasive species :/
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby kevansevans » May 23rd, 2019, 12:26 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:When your "class pet" turns out to be an invasive species :/


Zebra muscles?
User avatar
kevansevans
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby AshenSkye » May 26th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Miniature cupcakes are practically the perfect size for cake bites. A delicious chomp of flavor without the sugar high. ^.^
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
User avatar
AshenSkye
 
Posts: 282
Joined: May 1st, 2011, 10:46 am
Location: Appalachian Foothills

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby maelstrom51210 » May 28th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience doing art commissions? I've been thinking about dipping my toe in that to get a little extra cash.
Image
User avatar
maelstrom51210
 
Posts: 348
Joined: December 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby Raging Ghost » May 30th, 2019, 8:15 am

Apple is basically a fashion company.
Image
User avatar
Raging Ghost
 
Posts: 6224
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby AshenSkye » June 1st, 2019, 12:34 pm

maelstrom51210 wrote:Does anyone have any experience doing art commissions? I've been thinking about dipping my toe in that to get a little extra cash.

I've been taking commissions since 2010. Mine are primarily of traditional fine art, but I get a few requests to do OCs too. ArtistsNClients is a dedicated commission platform, but I didn't have much luck with it since I'm a traditional artist. I have better luck on Etsy, but I got my start on eBay. If you're good at anthros, FurAffinity is a pretty good platform. If you're having trouble with pricing, I threw together some research notes and a calculator here. Pricing and marketing isn't my thing, but records are. Start a spreadsheet or grab a notebook, whatever works better for you. Log the hours and days you put into work, including any correspondence with clients and time spent posting listings, and note what you were doing on each log entry. This also makes a handy way to check your time put into artwork to see if you're paying yourself fairly. To keep yourself somewhat professional and nip any potential suspicions in the bud, send invoices through Paypal, Square, or whatever payment processing platform you use, and save all receipts of relevant things you buy or things that cost you to do commissions (pens, paper, Paypal fees, etc.) and payments you receive. Keep a page where you can put nice and neat summaries, and not only will you have a way to quickly overview your profits, your tax preparer won't want to strangle you either.
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
User avatar
AshenSkye
 
Posts: 282
Joined: May 1st, 2011, 10:46 am
Location: Appalachian Foothills

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby mitchellbravo » June 3rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

On staying organized-

Talked with a lady yesterday who was telling us about how she just can't help but keep her house clean, it's just her way she and her husband do things, and they do it by just putting things away after they're done using them. That's one of those things all clean-keeping people say, and it always sounded good, and I could never figure out why I couldn't seem to stick to it.

Then I realize, I'm never "done using" anything. I get midway through a task, suddenly think of something else I need to do, abandon task A for task B, likely get interrupted again and start task C, get back to task A a bit, then on to task D, and by now there's several "active tasks" happening at once, but because I never "finished" any of them, the "okay, let's put this away now" part never gets triggered. I've been this way probably my entire life. I'm not sure how you go about solving this other than rotely forcing yourself to finish each task you begin before taking on a new one, or start setting timers to go off every 30 minutes or so and just put away anything that's not directly at that moment being used. This would be insane to do in my personal life but I feel like it could help in my work setting where I'm constantly a genie of floating piles and trays that initially had designated purpose but now are just catching everything I couldn't leave out on a surface.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby eishiya » June 3rd, 2019, 8:05 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:On staying organized-

Talked with a lady yesterday who was telling us about how she just can't help but keep her house clean, it's just her way she and her husband do things, and they do it by just putting things away after they're done using them. That's one of those things all clean-keeping people say, and it always sounded good, and I could never figure out why I couldn't seem to stick to it.

Then I realize, I'm never "done using" anything. I get midway through a task, suddenly think of something else I need to do, abandon task A for task B, likely get interrupted again and start task C, get back to task A a bit, then on to task D, and by now there's several "active tasks" happening at once, but because I never "finished" any of them, the "okay, let's put this away now" part never gets triggered. I've been this way probably my entire life. I'm not sure how you go about solving this other than rotely forcing yourself to finish each task you begin before taking on a new one, or start setting timers to go off every 30 minutes or so and just put away anything that's not directly at that moment being used. This would be insane to do in my personal life but I feel like it could help in my work setting where I'm constantly a genie of floating piles and trays that initially had designated purpose but now are just catching everything I couldn't leave out on a surface.

Can you treat "I need to do this other thing" or "I am about to put this tool down" as a "let's put this away" signal?
I also often have a lot of tasks going at the same time, and I try to make a point of putting things away as soon as I'd put them down, even if I know I'll need them again soon. I try to keep my working spaces conveniently organized to keep this from wasting time. So, when I'm not using a particular marker, it goes back in the (sorted) marker box, rather than on the desk. When I'm cooking, I try to wash and put away interim dishes and tools away as soon as they're free, rather than leaving them out until after the food is done. When a task interrupts me during another task and it's not one that I can postpone, I give myself a minute to clean up the preceding task as much as possible before going to that other task.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9766
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby mitchellbravo » June 3rd, 2019, 8:13 pm

The weird thing is, when I'm cooking, I'm *great* at putting things away. I can often organize it so that once the meal has been eaten, the only things that need to be washed are the plates we ate off of/silverware we used. With drawing, it's tough because the headspace I get into seems to disregard putting things away, especially since I will use the same tool over and over, often for just a small quick thing I missed on the first pass. It's like my brain never gets to the "I am about to put down this tool" thought you describe. The drawing one doesn't bother me so much as the at-work disorganization- I can keep up with pens and pencils and things like that there, but I need a better system for everything else I handle/am working on.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby Glueckskeks » June 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm

I checked my old posts and I have apparently managed to not participate in the forum for pretty exactly a year. My lurking powers have increased too much.
User avatar
Glueckskeks
 
Posts: 162
Joined: July 4th, 2010, 11:59 am

is this an out of body experience

Postby Cope » June 20th, 2019, 7:06 am

It's a bit of a surreal experience looking at comics so old I don't remember drawing them.
Image
User avatar
Cope
 
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby maelstrom51210 » June 20th, 2019, 10:06 am

For some reason I've been having dreams where my brain comes with what it thinks the plot of new superhero movies should be. I've had a dream where the finale of Avengers: Endgame was just Captain Marvel and Ant-Man getting into n intense game of handball with Thanos, and one where the Hellboy reboot consisted of walking around a bunch of high ways.

Last night I had a dream about what the X-Men would be like if it get rebooted into the MCU. It was actually pretty neat. The Juggernaut was the bad guy in it.
Image
User avatar
maelstrom51210
 
Posts: 348
Joined: December 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

Re: is this an out of body experience

Postby mitchellbravo » June 20th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Cope wrote:It's a bit of a surreal experience looking at comics so old I don't remember drawing them.

Photobucket is photobombing your sig -_-
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

is this an out of ip experience

Postby Cope » June 21st, 2019, 6:17 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
Cope wrote:It's a bit of a surreal experience looking at comics so old I don't remember drawing them.

Photobucket is photobombing your sig -_-

They are? I thought they stopped doing that. It's showing up fine for me, even after ctrl+f5.

EDIT: switched to imgur, just to be sure.
Image
User avatar
Cope
 
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests