Separating Comic Chapters/Next & Prev Buttons in Comments?

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Separating Comic Chapters/Next & Prev Buttons in Comments?

Postby Brawlitup99 » September 12th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Hey, I'm attempting to make a comic that will have multiple paths to choose from. This means that chapters will have to be unlinked in order to work properly. I assume the best way to do this is to add the Previous/Next buttons in the author comment, but comic page variables don't seem to work in comments. This would mean that I would need to change the links for each comic created so that they all link correctly.

Is there an easier way to do this? Something that I'm missing?
Hello, yes, would you like a pizza
Brawlitup99

Re: Separating Comic Chapters/Next & Prev Buttons in Comment

Postby artofjoe » September 12th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Something I did when I made a multipath comic was I mapped the whole thing out, then I wrote it, then I scrambled it and then at the bottom of each page I wrote which page to turn to next. With a multipath comic, you'll probably have the easiest time making it if you have the whole thing finished before you upload it, especially if it's long.
artofjoe

Postby eishiya » September 13th, 2019, 6:54 am

If you'd just be using the variables in your comments, then you might as well put them outside of the comment, where they would work as normal. Then, at the end of a chapter, you could add custom navigation in the author comment, in the form of your choices. It would be possible to hide the regular navigation at the ends of chapters with some custom CSS that you'd need to update for each chapter-ending page (easiest to do all at once when you've uploaded all the content, but it can be added one chapter at a time as well). I can help you with the code for that if you want to try it. I imagine this would be much less work than adding custom navigation to every page, since you only need to do it for those pages that have multiple options.
eishiya

Postby Brawlitup99 » September 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

eishiya wrote:If you'd just be using the variables in your comments, then you might as well put them outside of the comment, where they would work as normal. Then, at the end of a chapter, you could add custom navigation in the author comment, in the form of your choices. It would be possible to hide the regular navigation at the ends of chapters with some custom CSS that you'd need to update for each chapter-ending page (easiest to do all at once when you've uploaded all the content, but it can be added one chapter at a time as well). I can help you with the code for that if you want to try it. I imagine this would be much less work than adding custom navigation to every page, since you only need to do it for those pages that have multiple options.

OK, I think that could work better. Adding links at the end would be easier, and I would like to try making some code for the custom CSS. I assume it triggers on the specific page? Does each page need to be hard-coded into the template itself?
Hello, yes, would you like a pizza
Brawlitup99

Postby eishiya » September 13th, 2019, 9:44 am

Your next navigation button would need to be given a class that changes according to the page, e.g. class="next{COMIC_ID}". {COMIC_ID} is a template variable that outputs the page's unique ID number. Then, in your Overall Layout code, you'd have CSS that looks something like

Code: Select all
.next333333, .next444444, .next555555 [
   display: none;
}

where 333333, 444444, 55555 and so on are the IDs for pages that are decision points. On these pages, the "next" link will be hidden. This list of branching pages would need to be input manually, but once it's in, you're done :D In theory you could use the pages' titles as well, if they're something that can work as class names. If you use titles, you could even use just a single shared word to mark the branch points and thus not have to get a full list of pages, but you'd have to be careful with what you title your pages.
(You could also do something similar to hide the previous page links on those pages that are the beginnings of new sections.)

Then, for your multi-path choices, those would just be regular links to the appropriate pages in your author comment, e.g.
Code: Select all
<a href="http://yourcomic.smackjeeves.com/#####/path24">Take the dog with you</a>
<a href="http://yourcomic.smackjeeves.com/#####/path25">Leave the dog where it is</a>
<a href="http://yourcomic.smackjeeves.com/#####/path26">Call Alice about the dog</a>

These would need to be done manually, but only for the pages with multiple options. Everywhere else, you'd just have the automatically generated "next" navigation links.
eishiya

Return to Template Development & Support