A Note to all Requesters

Request custom templates here. There is no guarantee that it will be made for you. Please be respectful, polite, and patient when posting a request.

A Note to all Requesters

Postby Pyroman » June 22nd, 2009, 12:54 am

Hey guys, my name is Pyroman, and I'm probably going to be coding your template.
I just want to explain a few things so everyone doesn't freak out in here, alright?
First up, as of now I am the only person doing template requests. I have no issue with this, but what it means is that you are going to have to wait your turn. I will always start with the oldest thread and move to the newest, and will only skip a requests if it is unintelligible or does not contain the required information necessary to create the layout. (Though I usually just tell you to add the info and do it anyway!)

As a result of this, things can get bottlenecked very quickly. I am a busy person, and am currently working on my final year of school, so any free time is usually spent with books, not code (much to my horror). I will get to your template request, and it will be done, but I ask that you be patient until that time.

Naturally, if other coders came along then this would not be an issue, but right at this moment it's just me. So, yeah, I apologise for the inconvenience but bear with me and I'll get your template done, ok?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Re: A Note to all Requesters

Postby Mr Aids » June 22nd, 2009, 2:20 am

I will eventually help out Pyro, but not right now I'm staying away from requests. I still have lots to learn before I help him out.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2009, 3:21 am

Pyroman is awesome for all the work he has done.

Basically anyone requesting templates should give the guy some respect as well as patience.

Postby Pyroman » June 22nd, 2009, 3:25 am

Oh and just so people don't misunderstand -- I am not trying to call anyone out, or say that people have not been patient (quite the contrary actually), I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as to what was happening. I know people have sometimes been confused by a lack of interest in their thread, when others appear to be getting dealt with, but I assure you this is the process I have to go through. Essentially it's a long line, and whoever asked first will be dealt with first.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2009, 3:35 am

Ah yes, just what Pyro said, my previous post wasn't directed at the current people asking for templates, just in general >.<.

Postby powersurge360 » June 26th, 2009, 10:54 pm

I was thinking about doing templates and stuff to build up some references for my eventual career in this field.

So yeah, I can help with this sort of stuff, but I need to know a couple of things. Do we have free reign (we build everything from starting <html> to </html>) or is there a pre-existing structure we have to manipulate like myspace? What mark-up languages can we use besides html and css? Are we allowed to use javascript and php?

If you could point me to a faq, that'd be great.

EDIT: Found a faq. No PHP, that's a bummer. Didn't see anywhere that said rules for javascript though. I assume I can write a script and link to it on each web page, right?
powersurge360

Postby Pyroman » June 27th, 2009, 1:48 am

Essentially I try to keep JS to a minimum, just so users have a fighting chance of editing the templates later on, but you can add specific functions if you want. However, if you can avoid JS (for things like Rollovers and such) I would highly recommend you do.

There is no pre-existing structure whatsoever, but users have been asked to provide as much detail as possible, and you should work to achieve their goals, not your own. Nevertheless, in general SJ templates traditionally work along the lines of:

--Header--
--Menu--
--Content--
--Footer--

My only desire is that you keep everything XHTML compliant. I know many coders have a hard time switching over, but I'd really like it if all templates were made to current world standards. Things like Inline styling, depreciated tags and bug/glitch exploiting are what I would not recommend at all, no matter how useful they may seem now.

But honestly, I'm not the authority on this stuff, and as long as you make the template the user wants, then there's nothing I can do.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby powersurge360 » June 27th, 2009, 3:07 am

Pyroman wrote:if you can avoid JS (for things like Rollovers and such) I would highly recommend you do.

Who still uses javascript for rollover effects?

Pyroman wrote: Nevertheless, in general most websites traditionally work along the lines of:

--Header--
--Menu--
--Content--
--Footer--

QFT, edited slightly.

Pyroman wrote:My only desire is that you keep everything XHTML compliant.

I noticed you advocated the align property and such in some of your tutorials, which is counter-intuitive to this paradigm. That property just so happens to be deprecated.
powersurge360

Postby Pyroman » June 27th, 2009, 3:26 am

It seems you thought that was an attack at you, which is not at all what it was.
You must understand I have no idea what level of coding you have, and the likelihood is that it could be massively higher than mine. In fact, nearly all the coding knowledge I have has been acquired over the last year and a bit. I am by no means the best coder on this site, but am merely the only one that will do this.

My comment on the JS rollovers was simply the first random hypothetical that came to mind. Considering your apparent confidence with JS, I'd have been surprised if you did use JS for Rollovers. Let me clarify: I think it would be best for all if you didn't code complex JS into a page unless absolutely necessary. Few SJ users have coding experience, and very few wish to learn it at all. I, in addition to the other designers in the past, have found making users have to trawl through even the simplest, most comment filled code can often be too much.

Unfortunately most of those tutorials and templates have been made as I myself have learnt how to code over the last year or so. I recognise that many of them have some flaws, but I do not have the time to go back and fix them when they are not fundamentally broken. In essence what I was getting at was I didn't want you to be making templates with <font> and <center> tags all over the place. Again, I have no way of knowing what level of coding experience you have, and my comments were more of a general statement to all.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby powersurge360 » June 27th, 2009, 3:32 am

I didn't take offense, for the first two quotes I was kidding around and the last quote was pointing out what I assumed was an oversight or lapse in judgment.

It's all cool, yo. Don't be so jumpy, lol.
powersurge360

Postby Pyroman » June 27th, 2009, 3:37 am

Ugh sorry, I'm so used to everyone being very touchy.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Arwym Starlight » June 29th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Guess I could lend a hand around here every once in a while, too. ^_^;

By the way, I'm also from the ones who like to avoid JS at all cost, heheh. :P There are many reasons to.

So, I can't promise to help with big stuff right now, due to lack of time, but I'll gladly try helping with answering questions regarding HTML, CSS, general web layout design and maintenance, and how to achieve some things, etc..

Sorry if my sudden appearance seems like intruding or something, but I've never been active in the forums. I shall introduce myself very briefly.

I've been into web development for a few years, although it is only until two years ago that I become really serious about it. So, I may not be the expert, but I expect to be able to help whenever possible. ^_^; Nice to meet you.
Last edited by Arwym Starlight on June 29th, 2009, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwym Starlight

Postby Pyroman » June 29th, 2009, 11:49 pm

Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Arwym Starlight » June 29th, 2009, 11:51 pm

Pyroman wrote:Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated!

You're welcome!

I just updated my previous post with a brief introduction, by the way. I wasn't expecting such a quick reply, heheh! :P
Arwym Starlight

Postby Pyroman » June 30th, 2009, 12:02 am

Awesome!
Don't worry about 'intruding,' though, we're always looking for people to help. It's good to have some experienced coders again! After the forum change we pretty much lost everybody that was great, and so users were left to deal with me.

Hopefully we'll see some more of you, then!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Next

Return to Template Requests